Mass Flow through a 1.5 Pipe @ 300kpa

In summary: Thanks for the link,In summary, Nate is trying to find the choke point for a 1.5" diameter pipe using a little guy from the NASA website, but he is having trouble getting any flow. He needs to find the sonic velocity to determine if the flow is adiabatic or isothermal. If the flow is adiabatic, then he needs to find the pressure differential. If the flow is is isothermal, then he needs to find the temperature.
NateP
Mass Flow through a 1.5" Pipe @ 300kpa

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with finding the "choke" point of a 1.5" diameter pipe.

Conditions:
300 kPa
383 deg K
1.5 in D

I've tried using this little guy, http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/mflchk.html, with the Mach = 1, and only get ~1.5lb/min, which can't be correct. Can't figure out what I'm missing?

Thanks
Nate

Physics news on Phys.org

NateP said:
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with finding the "choke" point of a 1.5" diameter pipe.

Conditions:
300 kPa
383 deg K
1.5 in D

I've tried using this little guy, http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/mflchk.html, with the Mach = 1, and only get ~1.5lb/min, which can't be correct. Can't figure out what I'm missing?

Thanks
Nate

You need more information...take a look here and try again:

http://www.chem.mtu.edu/~crowl/cm4310/Chapter4b.pdf

CS

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the link,

P1 = P2 in my case, but having trouble understanding if this would fall under Adiabatic or Isothermal, but I take it has something to do with the velocity of the gas?

It looks like I need to start with finding the sonic velocity under the given conditions. Looking at the formula:

a = γ gcRgT /M

Which translates into:
Code:
Sq rt of ( Gamma * Grav constant * Ideal Gas Constant * Temp  / Molecular weight

Do any of these variables change under the given conditions? I can only seem to reference values at 20 deg C and 101 kPa...

NateP said:
Thanks for the link,

P1 = P2 in my case, but having trouble understanding if this would fall under Adiabatic or Isothermal, but I take it has something to do with the velocity of the gas?

It looks like I need to start with finding the sonic velocity under the given conditions. Looking at the formula:

a = γ gcRgT /M

Which translates into:
Code:
Sq rt of ( Gamma * Grav constant * Ideal Gas Constant * Temp  / Molecular weight

Do any of these variables change under the given conditions? I can only seem to reference values at 20 deg C and 101 kPa...

It's up to you to determine how you want to model the system. If the process is rapid, then the adiabatic assumption is valid. If the temperature of the gas is constant, the isothermal would be best. In reality it's somewhere in between the two.

In compressible flow the density of the gas typically changes by an appreciable amount. However, the 'gamma' term should capture that effect. Obviously the terms labeled 'constant' won't change, hence the name. The molecular weight won't change either. The temp was previously discussed as well as gamma.

CS

NateP said:
Thanks for the link,

If P1 = P2 then no flow will occur. There must be a pressure differential in a horizontal pipe for fluid flow.

CS

1. How is mass flow through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa calculated?

The mass flow through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa can be calculated using the following equation: Q = A * v * ρ Where Q is the mass flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, v is the average velocity of the fluid, and ρ is the fluid density.

2. What factors affect the mass flow rate through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa?

The mass flow rate through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa is affected by the fluid properties such as density and viscosity, the pipe properties such as diameter and length, as well as the pressure and temperature of the fluid.

3. How does the pressure affect the mass flow through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa?

The pressure has a direct impact on the mass flow through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa. As the pressure increases, the fluid velocity also increases, resulting in a higher mass flow rate. Conversely, a decrease in pressure will result in a lower mass flow rate.

4. What is the significance of the 1.5 pipe size in mass flow calculations?

The pipe size is an important factor in mass flow calculations as it determines the cross-sectional area of the pipe. A larger pipe size will have a higher cross-sectional area, allowing for a greater mass flow rate. In contrast, a smaller pipe size will have a lower mass flow rate due to its smaller cross-sectional area.

5. Can the mass flow through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa be increased?

Yes, the mass flow through a 1.5 pipe at 300kpa can be increased by either increasing the pressure or the fluid velocity. This can be achieved by using a pump to increase the pressure or by decreasing the pipe length or diameter to increase the fluid velocity.