Mass of a picture in static equilibrium

In summary: Therefore the mass would just be 1 kg.In summary, the problem involves an artist pushing on a picture with a force of 75N at a 45° angle to hold it in equilibrium. The coefficient of friction between the wall and the picture frame is 0.30. The mass of the picture can be found by setting up an equilibrium equation for the y components of all the forces involved. However, the equation for the force of friction was used incorrectly. The correct equation is Ffr=μFN where FN is the normal force between the picture and the wall. This leads to a correct solution of 1 kg for the mass of the picture.
Zack K

Homework Statement

An artist must push with a minimum of 75N at an angle of 45° to a picture to hold it in equilibrium. The coefficient of friction between the wall and the picture frame is 0.30. What is the mass of the picture?

Homework Equations

ΣF=0
Ffr=μFN
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up an equilibrium equation of the y components of all the forces to find the mass. the y components would be, the force of gravity acting on the picture, the force of friction between the picture and the wall, and the y component of the applied force of the artist on the picture. Making the up forces equal to the down forces, you should get, Fappsin(45)=Fg-Ffr. Plugging in values into the known variables you should get, 75sin(45)=m(9.8)-(0.3)m(75sin(45). I factored out m and divided both sides by everything in the brackets to solve for m, obviously though I didn't get the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is how the equation for the force of friction was used. The correct form is
$$F_{fr}=\mu F_{N}$$
where ##F_{N}## is the normal force between the picture and the wall.

NFuller said:
The problem is how the equation for the force of friction was used. The correct form is
$$F_{fr}=\mu F_{N}$$
where ##F_{N}## is the normal force between the picture and the wall.
Yeah sorry, I realized the proper term would be FN, but it wouldn't matter because the normal force would still be 75sin(45) since the x component of 75N would be the normal force acting on the picture.

It matters because there is no mass term in the expression for ##F_{N}##.

NFuller said:
It matters because there is no mass term in the expression for ##F_{N}##.
I'm confused, isn't the expression for FN=mass x gravity, where gravity is the x component of the applied force?

Gravity only operates in the y direction, so it cannot produce a force in the x direction. Here ##F_{N}## is the x component of the force applied by the person pushing the painting against the wall.

NFuller said:
Gravity only operates in the y direction, so it cannot produce a force in the x direction. Here ##F_{N}## is the x component of the force applied by the person pushing the painting against the wall.
The x component is going to be still 75sin(45) since it's a 45 degree. I could use 75cos(45) but cos(45) and sin(45) are the same value it doesn't matter which trig function I use. I'm just baffled because everything seems right to me.

Your work says
$$F_{N}=m*75\sin(45)$$
There is no mass term. It should be
$$F_{N}=75\cos(45)$$

NFuller said:
Your work says
$$F_{N}=m*75\sin(45)$$
There is no mass term. It should be
$$F_{N}=75\cos(45)$$
Oh wow it just hit me, haha I feel so dumb. Since the force has already been given by 75sin(45), a mass term would be ridiculous.

1. What is meant by "static equilibrium"?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and has no net forces acting on it. This means that the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in no motion or acceleration.

2. How is the mass of a picture determined in static equilibrium?

The mass of a picture in static equilibrium can be determined by using the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the picture, m is the mass of the picture, and a is the acceleration (which is zero in static equilibrium). This means that the mass of the picture can be calculated by measuring the net force acting on it and dividing by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. Can the mass of a picture change in static equilibrium?

No, the mass of a picture cannot change in static equilibrium. This is because in order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the forces acting on it must be balanced. If the mass were to change, the forces would no longer be balanced and the object would no longer be in static equilibrium.

4. How does the mass of a picture affect its stability in static equilibrium?

The mass of a picture does not directly affect its stability in static equilibrium. However, the distribution of mass within the picture can impact its stability. A picture with a larger mass at the top, for example, may be less stable in static equilibrium compared to a picture with a more evenly distributed mass.

5. Is the mass of a picture the same as its weight in static equilibrium?

No, the mass of a picture and its weight are not the same in static equilibrium. Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight refers to the force of gravity acting on an object's mass. In static equilibrium, the weight of the picture is balanced by the normal force exerted by the surface it is resting on, resulting in a net force of zero.