Mass on a Spring: Determine Periodic Time, Frequency & Acceleration

In summary: I'm going to have to do this on my own. In summary, the spring has a stiffness of 30 KN/m and supports a mass of 8 kg. The mass is pulled so that it t extends by amplitude of 10 mm and its released so that it produces linear oscillations. The Attempt at a Solution Periodic time; T = 1/f = (1 / 9.75) = 0.10260s Circular frequency; W= √ k / M w = √ 30000 / 8 = 61.24 rad/s Natural frequency; F = w / 2 π = 61.24 / (2π) = 9.75Hz Displacenent . [/B]10 cos
Thermoman

Homework Statement

A spring has a stiffness of 30 KN/m and supports a mass of 8 kg. The mass is pulled so that the spring t extends by amplitude of 10 mm and its released so that it produces linear oscillations .

Homework Equations

(i) Determine the periodic time,circular frequency,and the natural frequency f.
(ii) Calculate the maximum velocity of the mass.(iii) Calculate the maximum acceleration of the mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

Periodic time;

T = 1/f = (1 / 9.75) = 0.10260s

Circular frequency;

W= √ k / M w = √ 30000 / 8 = 61.24 rad/s

Natural frequency;

F = w / 2 π = 61.24 / (2π) = 9.75Hz

Displacenent . [/B]10 cos X (61.24 X 0.10260) = - 5.27 mm
Which equations do I use ? Velocity = ωx sin ωt Or max velocity = x cos ωt =0
Acceleration= ω^2 x sin ωt Or max acceleration= x cos ωt

If I am correct with displacement , it does not equal zero.Which is throwing me !

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think those equations of max velpcity have any sense. if they are maximum, why would tgey depend on time??

The question is written out word for word. There have been other problems with questions on this assignment and the one on thermodynamics before it ! Its an online BTEC. Are you saying the question it self is incorrectly written (others have been). And i struggled with them too.
Should i just treat it as velocity ? And acceleration , Leaving Max out of it ?

look, max velocity is $\omega xmax$. max acceleration is $\omega^2 xmax$. you shouldn't have any "time" involved.

Those are the equations used in the course examples ? So you're saying the equations I put up are incorrect to find max acc and max Vel ?

Thermoman said:
Those are the equations used in the course examples ? So you're saying the equations I put up are incorrect to find max acc and max Vel ?
yes, those equations are wrong. the correct equations are those that I gave you. it is easy to do it yourself, just derive with respect to time and rember that sine and cosine are between 1 and -1. it is crucial to understand this that the maximum velocity or acceleration can't involve time

Thank you melthengylf...No wonder I am bamboozed

What is a mass on a spring?

A mass on a spring refers to a system where a mass is attached to a spring and allowed to oscillate or move up and down due to the restoring force of the spring.

How do you determine the periodic time of a mass on a spring?

The periodic time of a mass on a spring can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the mass to complete one full oscillation or cycle. This can be done by using a stopwatch to time the motion or by using sensors and data collection software.

What is the relationship between the mass and the periodic time of a mass on a spring?

The mass and the periodic time of a mass on a spring have an inverse relationship. This means that as the mass increases, the periodic time also increases. This relationship can be mathematically represented as T ∝ m, where T is the periodic time and m is the mass.

What is the relationship between the spring constant and the frequency of a mass on a spring?

The spring constant and the frequency of a mass on a spring have a direct relationship. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency also increases. This relationship can be mathematically represented as f ∝ k, where f is the frequency and k is the spring constant.

How do you calculate the acceleration of a mass on a spring?

The acceleration of a mass on a spring can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the mass by the mass itself. In the case of a mass on a spring, the net force is the restoring force of the spring, which is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation a = (k/m)x, where a is the acceleration, k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and x is the displacement.