Mass on a Swing Ride: Physics of Thrill Rides

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem that was posted in the wrong forum and the mistake the person made in solving it. They discuss the limit of the first term and how it approaches infinity when theta goes to 90 degrees. The person thanks the other for their response and admits to getting lazy and needing to brush up on calculus.
Heyhay
physics.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks suspiciously like a homework problem. In any event, it is close enough to a typical homework problem that it should have been posted in the homework forum. Please consider doing that next time.

Regarding what you did wrong, the limit of the first term is not zero. If theta goes to 90 degrees, tan of theta is infinite also. If you hadn't divided by omega squared, you would have seen immediately that, in the limit of infinite omega, tan theta becomes infinite, and that theta approaches 90 degrees.

Chet

Sorry, this was my first post and I wasn't sure where to put it! I can assure you though, that this was not a homework question, instead it was just my curious self doing physics for fun. Questions like this have been asked before on this site but not looking for theta, so I thought I would post so others and myself could understand it.

Anyways, thanks for the response. It's so tempting to just divide by infinity that I didn't even consider that tangent(90) approaches infinity. I guess I'm getting lazy and need to brush up on my calculus.

Thanks!

Hayley

1. What is the physics behind the swinging motion of a mass on a swing ride?

The swinging motion of a mass on a swing ride is governed by the principles of centripetal force and Newton's laws of motion. As the swing moves back and forth, the centripetal force acts on the mass, pulling it towards the center of the circle. This force, along with the inertia of the mass, causes it to continue swinging in a circular motion.

2. How does the height of the swing affect the thrill of the ride?

The height of the swing directly impacts the thrill of the ride. The higher the swing, the greater the potential energy of the mass and the faster it will fall towards the ground. This results in a greater feeling of weightlessness and a more thrilling experience for riders.

3. What is the role of gravity in a swing ride?

Gravity plays a crucial role in a swing ride. It is responsible for pulling the mass down towards the ground, creating the swinging motion. Without gravity, the mass would not be able to complete a full swing and the ride would not be possible.

4. How does the length of the swing affect the ride experience?

The length of the swing determines the period of the pendulum, which is the time it takes for the mass to complete one full swing. A longer swing will have a longer period, resulting in a slower and smoother ride. A shorter swing will have a shorter period, resulting in a faster and more intense ride.

5. What safety measures are in place to ensure the mass stays on the swing during the ride?

Swing rides are designed with safety measures to ensure that the mass stays securely attached to the swing throughout the ride. These can include seat belts, harnesses, and lap bars to keep riders in place. The swing itself is also constructed with strong materials to prevent any breakage or detachment during the ride.