Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the translational system of a car's suspension and poses several questions related to finding the sprung mass, damping force, Newton's second law, stiffness matrix, transfer function, and poles of the system. The poster has made some progress in solving the problem, but could benefit from showing more of their calculations and explaining their reasoning in more detail.
TW Cantor

Homework Statement

The translational system in the first attachment represents the rear/front suspension of a car of mass 1262kg. The distance between the axles is 2.41m and the distance between the centre of mass and the front axle is 1.22m.

I am told that:
m2 = 40 kg
c1 = 800 Nm/s
k1 = 11370 Nm
k2 = 190000 Nm

All the following questions are for the front suspension

1) Find the sprung mass

2) Find the expression for the damping force between m1 and m2

3) Find the expression for Newton's second law for the motion of the first mass m1

4) Find the stiffness matrix for the system

5) Find the transfer function from input Xr to ouput X1

6) Find the poles of the transfer function

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) the centre of mass is 1.22m from the front axle so the weight distribution is found as follows:
100*1.22/2.41 = 50.62% of the weight on the rear wheels and therefore 49.38% on the front wheels.

the front sprung mass is then:
(49.38*1262)/(2*100) = 311.57 kg

2) to find the forces acting on m1 I drew a free body diagram, which is shown in the second attachment.

from this i found that the damping force is defined as:
c1*(ẋ1-ẋ2)

3) again using the free body diagram for m1 i found the expression for its motion as:
m1*ẍ1 = [-k1*(x1-x2)-c1*(x1-x2)]

4) using the free body diagram i found expressions for both m1 and m2 and came up with the following expressions for each:

m1*ẍ1 + c1*ẋ1 + k1*x1 = c1*ẋ2 + k1*x2

m2*ẍ2 + c1*ẋ2 + x2*(k1+k2) = c1*ẋ1 + k1*x1

Completing a laplace transform on each of these expressions gives:

(m1*s2 + c1*s + k1)*X1 = (c1*s + k1)*X2

(m2*s2 + c1*s + k1+k2)*X2 = (c1*s + k1)*X1

Putting this into matrix form gives:
m1*s2 + c1*s + k1, c1*s + k1;

c1*s + k1, m2*s2 + c1*s + k1+k2;

X1
X2

(i don't know how to put this into a matrix form)

I am told that this is equal to:

k2*Xr

5) I then assume to find the transfer function i would treat the stiffness matrix from part 4) as a simultaneous equation. Doing this i get:

X1*(m1*s2 + c1*s + k1) + X2*(c1*s + k1) = 0

X1*(1) + X2*(m2*s2 + c1*s + k1+k2) = k2*Xr

Combining the two equations i get an expression containing Xr and X1 but rearranging it for X1/Xr to get the transfer function. However the expression i get seems a bit unlikely.

If I have gone wrong at any point please let me know, I know how to get the final question I am just not convinced I've got everything right so far. Any help would be brilliant!

Thanks

Attachments

• Mass Spring Damper.png
    Mass Spring Damper.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 724
  • 20131127_200210.jpg
    20131127_200210.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! It looks like you have a good understanding of the problem and have made some progress in solving it. However, there are a few areas that could use some clarification and improvement.

1) Your calculation for the sprung mass seems to be correct, but it would be helpful to show the full equation and any units involved.

2) Your expression for the damping force between m1 and m2 is correct, but it would be helpful to show where the values for c1 and ẋ1 and ẋ2 come from.

3) Your expression for Newton's second law for the motion of m1 is also correct, but again it would be helpful to show where the values for m1, ẍ1, k1, and x1 come from.

4) Your approach for finding the stiffness matrix is correct, but it would be helpful to show the full matrix and explain how you got it.

5) Your attempt at finding the transfer function is a bit confusing. It would be helpful to show the full equations and explain how you got them. Also, you should be able to put the stiffness matrix into a proper matrix form by using brackets [ ].

Overall, your understanding of the problem seems to be good, but it would be helpful to show more of your calculations and explain your reasoning in more detail. Keep up the good work!

What is Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function?

The Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input force and the output displacement of a system consisting of a mass, spring, and damper. It is commonly used in control systems and mechanical engineering to analyze the behavior of a system.

What are the components of the Mass Spring Damper system?

The Mass Spring Damper system consists of three main components: a mass, a spring, and a damper. The mass represents the object being moved, the spring provides the restoring force, and the damper dissipates energy and controls the system's response.

How is the Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function derived?

The Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function is derived by applying Newton's second law of motion and using the Laplace transform to convert the differential equation into an algebraic equation. The resulting equation is then rearranged to solve for the output displacement in terms of the input force.

What are the applications of Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function?

The Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function has various applications in engineering, such as in mechanical systems, control systems, and vibration analysis. It is also used in the design of suspension systems, shock absorbers, and other systems that involve the movement of masses.

What are the limitations of Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function?

The Mass Spring Damper Transfer Function assumes that the system is linear, time-invariant, and has no external disturbances. It also does not take into account the effects of friction and other non-linearities. Therefore, it may not accurately represent the behavior of complex systems with these factors.