Mass to Light Ratio for Dwarf Galaxies

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of obtaining a mass-to-light ratio for dwarf spheroidal galaxies using information such as distance, size, absolute magnitude, and velocity dispersion. The goal is to determine the masses of these galaxies. One person expresses doubt in the accuracy of mass to light ratio, while another mentions a study that suggests a mass to light ratio of 10's to 100's for dwarf galaxies. The reason for this discrepancy is unclear.
nik6
Hi,

I'm working on a project on dwarf spheroidal galaxies. Is there a way to get a mass-to-light ratio knowing the distance to the galaxy, its size, and maybe some other parameters like the absolute magnitude or velocity dispersion?

In the end, I'm trying to figure out their masses using this information.

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mass to light ratio is more conjecture than theory. I would not trust any conclusions.

Alright I'll keep that in mind, thank you. Any advice on how to get mass from luminosity?

It is a generalization based on mass - luminosity ratios derived from galactic surveys. It is approximately accurate.

Chronos,

When i read papers like this one:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.0010
It seems like a fairly careful measurement of the mass profiles of several dwarf galaxies, and of course the light output can be measured directly, so the conclusion that dwarf galaxies have mass/light ratios of 10's to 100's seems sound. Why do you think it is just conjecture?

Related to Mass to Light Ratio for Dwarf Galaxies

1. What is the Mass to Light Ratio for Dwarf Galaxies?

The Mass to Light Ratio for Dwarf Galaxies refers to the ratio of the total mass of a dwarf galaxy to its luminosity, or brightness. It is a measurement used to understand the amount of dark matter present in these types of galaxies.

2. Why is the Mass to Light Ratio important for studying dwarf galaxies?

The Mass to Light Ratio is important because it can help us understand the distribution of dark matter within dwarf galaxies. Since these galaxies have a low luminosity, the ratio can provide valuable information about their mass and structure.

3. How is the Mass to Light Ratio calculated for dwarf galaxies?

The Mass to Light Ratio is calculated by measuring the total mass of a dwarf galaxy through observations of its rotation and comparing it to its luminosity, which is determined by the amount of light emitted by stars in the galaxy.

4. What is the typical range of Mass to Light Ratios for dwarf galaxies?

The Mass to Light Ratio for dwarf galaxies can vary greatly, but the typical range is around 10-100 times the Mass to Light Ratio of our own Milky Way galaxy. This indicates that dwarf galaxies have a higher proportion of dark matter compared to luminous matter.

5. How does the Mass to Light Ratio for dwarf galaxies compare to that of larger galaxies?

The Mass to Light Ratio for dwarf galaxies is significantly higher than that of larger galaxies. This suggests that dwarf galaxies have a higher percentage of dark matter, while larger galaxies have a larger proportion of luminous matter.