Why use velocity dispersion in Faber Jackson relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the Tully-Fisher relation and the Faber-Jackson relation, which both describe the relationship between the mass and dynamics of spiral and elliptical galaxies. The TF relation suggests that luminosity is proportional to the fourth power of the maximum velocity, while the FJ relation replaces the velocity term with the velocity dispersion. The assumptions behind these relations are slightly different, but it is unknown why they appear similar. The conversation also mentions measuring the width of a characteristic peak in galaxies and how it was done before computers were used.
Ron19932017
Hi all,

Recently I am reading some online material about Tully-Fisher relation and Faber-Jackson relation
which is describing the dynamical constrain on the mass of spiral/elliptical galaxies.

In spiral galaxy, TF relation suggest Luminsoty ≈ (some const) (Vmax)^4
while in elliptical galaxy the Vmax term become the σ, which is the velocity dispersion.

I know that the assumptions behind are a little bit different. For example in TF relation we assume (L/M) ratio is independent of M while in FJ relation it is not. I also understand that in reality stars in elliptical galaxy just move in random direction rather than systematically move in a disk.

Therefore in the case of elliptical galaxies we can only talk about velocity dispersion σ, rather than just velocity itself. However I don't know why is the TF and FJ relation looks so similar. Are they by coincidence? Or there is physical justification behind replacing the V by σ in TF relation and you get the FJ relation?

Thanks for your patience and help. :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe we just measure the width of a characteristic peak. If the galaxy is a point source you would get photons from a random selection of stars.

My analytic chemistry professor told me that they used to cut out the peak with scissors. Then they would weight the paper. This was before computers were around to do the integration.

1. Why is velocity dispersion used in the Faber Jackson relation?

The Faber Jackson relation is a well-established empirical relationship between the luminosity and velocity dispersion of elliptical galaxies. It is used as a tool to understand the evolution and formation of these galaxies. Velocity dispersion is used in this relation because it is a direct measure of the mass of the galaxy, which is a key factor in determining its luminosity.

2. How does velocity dispersion relate to the mass of a galaxy?

Velocity dispersion is a measure of the random motions of stars within a galaxy. These motions are directly related to the gravitational potential of the galaxy, which is determined by its mass. Therefore, a higher velocity dispersion corresponds to a higher mass for the galaxy.

3. Can other properties of galaxies be used in the Faber Jackson relation?

While velocity dispersion is the most commonly used property in the Faber Jackson relation, other properties such as stellar mass or metallicity have also been explored. However, these properties do not have as strong of a correlation with luminosity as velocity dispersion does.

4. Is there a physical explanation for the Faber Jackson relation?

The Faber Jackson relation is an empirical relationship and does not have a clear physical explanation. However, it is thought to be a result of the balance between gravity and pressure within elliptical galaxies. The higher velocity dispersion corresponds to a higher pressure, which helps support the galaxy against gravity and results in a brighter luminosity.

5. How is the Faber Jackson relation useful in studying galaxy evolution?

The Faber Jackson relation allows us to make predictions about the properties of elliptical galaxies based on their velocity dispersion. This is useful in understanding how these galaxies formed and evolved over time. It has also been used to study the evolution of the universe and the growth of structures within it.