Mass Transfer in a wetted-wall column

In summary, the mass flux ##\phi## can be expressed as a function of ##C_{\alpha}## and ##P_{\alpha}## by using the equations: $$\phi = k_{\iota} (C_{\infty} - C_{\alpha}) = k_{\rho} (P_{\alpha} - P)$$ and Henry's law: $$C = PH$$.
Rogue
Homework Statement
Ammonia in gas is being absorbed by water in a wtted-wall column. At one level of the column, the following data applies:
Gas phase mass transfer co-efficient:
5.22 x 10^-9 kmol m^-2s^-1Pa^-1

Liquid Phase mass transfer coefficient:
3.88 x 10^-5 m s^-1

Henrys constant 0.955kPa (kmol m^-3)^-1

Use the following additional information to find the mass transfer flux in the column:

mole fraction of ammonia in liquid* 1.351 x 10^-3
mole fraction of ammonia in gas* 0.065
total pressure of system 1.013 bar
mole mass of ammonia 17
Relevant Equations
Attempt at solution

Using Ca =55.51xa

Ammonia in liquid:
55.51 x 1.351 x 10^-3
=0.075kmol^-3

Ammonia in gas:
55.51 x 0.065
=3.608kmol^-3

I know my end equation needs to be in the order of:
Na = kc x (Ca1 - Ca2)

I attempted:

=(4.42 x 10^-6) x (3.608 - 0.075)

= 1.562 x 10^-5

But have since been advised that I need to be calculating partial pressure, molar mass transfer flux and equivalent molar concentration and to substitute these into my final equation.
At this point, I am finding myself to be very confused.
Please can someone assist me as this particular question seems to have me completely confounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let:

##k_L## = mass transfer coefficient of ammonia in the liquid phase
##k_g## = mass transfer coefficient of ammonia in the gas phase
##p_{\infty}## = partial pressure of ammonia in the bulk of the gas phase
##p## = partial pressure of ammonia in the gas phase at the gas-liquid interface
##C_{\infty}## = concentration of ammonia in the bulk of the liquid phase
##C## = concentration of ammonia in the liquid phase at the gas-liquid interface
H = Henry's law constant

What is the mass flux ##\phi## in terms of ##k_L##, ##C_{\infty}##, and C?
What is the same mass flux ##\phi## interns of ##k_g##, ##p_{\infty}##, and p?
What is the relationship between p, C, and H?

Thanks for the response Chester.

Am I right in thinking?:

## \phi = k \iota (C - C \alpha)##

Answer = 1.371 x10^-4

## \phi = k \varrho (P - P \alpha)##

In terms of calculating partial pressure - I'll have to re-visit this to refresh my memory along with the relationship between p, C and H.

Rogue said:
Thanks for the response Chester.

Am I right in thinking?:

## \phi = k \iota (C - C \alpha)##
This equation is correct
## \phi = k \varrho (P - P \alpha)##
This equation is incorrect. It should read:$$\phi = k \varrho ( P \alpha-P)$$

So you have $$\phi = k_{\iota} (C - C _{\alpha})=k _{\rho} ( P _{\alpha}-P)$$
In terms of calculating partial pressure - I'll have to re-visit this to refresh my memory along with the relationship between p, C and H.
Henry's law relates C and P by: $$C = PH$$
Now, please eliminate C and P between these three equations, and express ##\phi## as a function of ##C_{\alpha}## and ##P_{\alpha}##.

1. What is a wetted-wall column?

A wetted-wall column is a type of separation column used in chemical engineering to separate substances based on their mass transfer properties. It consists of a vertical column filled with a packing material, and a liquid is continuously sprayed on the walls of the column to maintain a thin film of liquid. The substances to be separated are introduced at the top of the column and flow down through the liquid film, interacting with the packing material and undergoing mass transfer.

2. What is the purpose of a wetted-wall column?

The purpose of a wetted-wall column is to separate substances based on their mass transfer properties, such as their solubility or vapor pressure. It is commonly used in industrial processes for purification, extraction, or concentration of various substances.

3. How does mass transfer occur in a wetted-wall column?

In a wetted-wall column, mass transfer occurs through the interaction between the liquid film and the packing material. The substances to be separated move down through the liquid film and come into contact with the packing material, where they can either dissolve into the liquid phase or evaporate into the gas phase depending on their properties. This continuous interaction between the liquid and the substances leads to separation.

4. What factors affect mass transfer in a wetted-wall column?

Several factors can affect mass transfer in a wetted-wall column, including the properties of the substances to be separated, the type of packing material used, the flow rate and composition of the liquid film, and the temperature and pressure inside the column. Proper selection and control of these factors can greatly impact the efficiency and effectiveness of mass transfer in the column.

5. What are the advantages of using a wetted-wall column for mass transfer?

There are several advantages to using a wetted-wall column for mass transfer. It allows for continuous separation of substances, has a high separation efficiency, and can handle large quantities of feed. It also has a relatively simple design and can be easily scaled up for industrial applications. Additionally, the use of a liquid film in the column can help prevent fouling or clogging of the packing material, leading to more stable and consistent performance.