Mass Balance Approach for a 2-Stage Distillation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a distillation process for a three component mixture with varying volatility. The mixture is passed through two columns, with 80% of the least volatile component leaving at the bottom of the first column and the remaining components being separated in the second column. The goal is to determine the flows out of each column and the mol % of the most volatile component in the bottom of the second column. The approach involves calculating the kmol % of each component in the feed and using mass balance diagrams for each column.
Rogue

Homework Statement

180kmol/hr of a three component mixture made up of 60 mol % A, 25 mol % B and 15 mol %.
Component A is the most volatile ,component C is the least volatile.

The mixture is to be passed through a 2 stage distillation process.
80% of component C leaves the bottom of the first column in a 90% mixture with component B.

The top product leaving the first column is further separated in the second column to give a top product 95% A and a bottom product 85% B.

Determine the flows out each column and the mol % A in the bottom of the second column.

Assume none of component A leaves at the bottom of column 1 and none of component C leaves at the top of column 2.

Homework Equations

Mass Balance Diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach is to calculate the kmol % of each component in the feed.

Component A = 108kmol /h
B = 45
C = 27

80% of C leaves at the bottom of column 1.
27 x 0.8 = 21.6

This makes a solution 90% C and 10% B,
So 21.6/0.9 = 24 (100% of product leaving bottom of column 1)
So B = 2.4kmol/hIs this the correct starting approach please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rogue said:
Is this the correct starting approach please?
Looks good so far.

Are you sure?

As I follow up ,I can't seem to get it to balance.

For leaving the bottom of column 1 I have:

21.6kmol Component C
2.4kmol Component BFor entering column 2 I have :
5.4 kmol component C
42.6kmol component B
108 kmol component ALeaving the bottom of column 2:

5.4 kmol component C
36.21kmol component B
0.99 kmol component A

Leaving the top of column 2:

6.39kmol component B

But, 121.41 kmol component A.

Hence it doesn't balance so I must be doing something wrong? ??

Let's see how you solved column 2. Please show your equations.

Thanks gents.

Realised my mistake, sorted now.

1. What is the Mass Balance Approach problem?

The Mass Balance Approach problem is a mathematical model used to analyze the distribution and conservation of mass in a system. It involves calculating the amount of mass entering and leaving a system and comparing it to the amount of mass stored in the system.

2. Why is the Mass Balance Approach important in scientific research?

The Mass Balance Approach is important because it allows scientists to understand how mass is transferred and transformed within a system. This is crucial for studying various processes, such as chemical reactions, nutrient cycling, and pollution transport.

3. How is the Mass Balance Approach problem solved?

The Mass Balance Approach problem is solved by setting up a mass balance equation, which states that the amount of mass entering a system must equal the amount of mass leaving the system plus the amount of mass stored in the system. This equation is then solved for the unknown variables.

4. What are the limitations of the Mass Balance Approach?

One limitation of the Mass Balance Approach is that it assumes a closed system, meaning that no mass is added or removed from the system during the time period being studied. This may not always be the case in real-world systems, leading to inaccuracies in the results.

5. How is the Mass Balance Approach used in environmental studies?

The Mass Balance Approach is commonly used in environmental studies to track the movement of pollutants and nutrients in ecosystems. It can also be used to assess the impact of human activities, such as agriculture and industrial processes, on the environment.