Estimating the Mass of an 18 Carat Gold Ring Using Basic Geometry

In summary: For example, assume that the thickness of the ring is negligible. In that case, the inner radius becomes irrelevant, and you can simply use the outer radius as the radius of the cylinder. Then, you can use the density of gold to calculate the volume of the cylinder, and from there, find the mass of the ring. In summary, to find an order of magnitude estimate for the mass of the 18 carat gold ring, treat the ring as a cylinder with a negligible thickness and use the density of gold to calculate the volume and mass of the ring.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

An 18 carat gold ring is made from an alloy containing 75% gold with small amounts of other metals including copper and silver. By considering the ring to be a cylinder, find an order of magnitude estimate for the mass of the ring.

Homework Equations

density of gold - 19.32g per cubic cm
Density = Mass/Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure about what it means by treating it as a cylinder. Does it mean to imagine cutting the ring and flattening it out to form a straight line which resemble a cylinder? I really have no idea how to go about this. I guess you would then use mass = density x volume where you use the volume of a cylinder. What is the best way to go about finding approximate dimensions of a ring without having one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this all the information they gave? Is this the exact problem statement?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is this all the information they gave? Is this the exact problem statement?

Chet

Yes, this all the information given and it is written word for word from my textbook.

I guess they want you to solve the problem in a general way by specifying the dimensions of the ring algebraically, without assigning any numerical values for them. Inner radius ri cm, outer radius ro cm, and height h cm. I would also look up the densities of silver and copper just to see how they compare with gold.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I guess they want you to solve the problem in a general way by specifying the dimensions of the ring algebraically, without assigning any numerical values for them. Inner radius ri cm, outer radius ro cm, and height h cm. I would also look up the densities of silver and copper just to see how they compare with gold.

Chet

Why would you need an inner and outer radius?

Jimmy87 said:
Why would you need an inner and outer radius?
Because you need an opening to put your finger through.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Because you need an opening to put your finger through.

Chet

Could you not just treat the ring as a cylinder by imagining snapping it and form a straight line instead of a ring and treating that as the cylinder? So kind of like bending the ring into a straight line and standing it upright?

Jimmy87 said:
Could you not just treat the ring as a cylinder by imagining snapping it and form a straight line instead of a ring and treating that as the cylinder? So kind of like bending the ring into a straight line and standing it upright?
I guess you could do that, but it wouldn't be as good an approximation to an actual ring shape. Still, I guess the focus of this exercise is not so much the geometry of the ring as it is applying knowledge of how to work with density.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I guess you could do that, but it wouldn't be as good an approximation to an actual ring shape. Still, I guess the focus of this exercise is not so much the geometry of the ring as it is applying knowledge of how to work with density.

Chet

Thanks. So how do you do it your way because you just have air in the middle? Or would you factor that in and subtract that? How would you go about showing this with algebra as you said before?

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks. So how do you do it your way because you just have air in the middle? Or would you factor that in and subtract that? How would you go about showing this with algebra as you said before?
This is a typical SAT problem. I don't want to give an answer before you have had a chance to think about it a little more. What are your thoughts on how to approach this?

Chet

Jimmy87 said:

I believe that is what's intended by the direction given in the statement of the problem. Since they ask for an order of magnitude estimate, they are looking for a numerical answer. I believe they want you to make reasonable assumptions about the dimensions of the cylinder.

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

2. How is volume measured?

Volume is measured by determining the amount of space an object occupies. It can be measured directly using tools such as rulers or graduated cylinders, or calculated by multiplying length, width, and height measurements.

3. What is the formula for calculating density?

Density is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume. The formula is: Density = Mass/Volume. The unit for density is typically grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

4. How does density affect an object's buoyancy?

Density plays a key role in an object's buoyancy. If an object is more dense than the liquid it is placed in, it will sink. If it is less dense, it will float. This is because the more dense object has a greater weight, which exerts a greater downward force, causing it to sink.

5. Can an object's mass and volume change?

Yes, an object's mass and volume can both change. Mass can change if matter is added or removed from the object. Volume can change if the size or shape of the object changes. However, an object's density remains constant, as it is a property of the material itself.