Proving Cauchy's Theorem in Group Theory

In summary: So ##(x_2,x_3\dots,x_p,x_1)## is also in ##S##. And just like that we can do this for any ##k##-cycle.In summary, we are asked to show that the given rule, where the cyclic subgroup ##C_p## acts on the set ##S## by permuting the elements cyclically, is a group action. This is done by first proving that it is well-defined, meaning that the result of the operation is always an element of ##S##. Then, we show that the identity permutation acts as the identity element and that the operation is associative. Therefore, we have a group action of ##C_p## on ##S## as desired.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##S = \{(x_1, \dots, x_p) \mid x_i \in G, x_1 x_2 \cdots x_p = e\}##.

Let ##C_p## denote cyclic subgroup of ##S_p## of order ##p## generated by the ##p##-cycle, ##\sigma = (1 \, 2 \, \cdots \, p)##. Show that the following rule gives an action of ##C_p## on ##S##
$$
\sigma \cdot (x_1, \dots, x_p) :=
(x_{\sigma(1)}, \dots, x_{\sigma(p)}) = (x_2, x_3, \dots, x_p, x_1).
$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In general showing that something is an action is not too difficult, since we only have to check two things. However, I am a but confused with how this action is defined. Normally, when group actions are defined they are defined for arbitrary elements of the group ##G##. But here it is only defined for the generator of ##G##. So when I try to prove that this is a group action, do I say: Suppose ##\alpha, \beta \in C_p##. Then ##\alpha=\sigma^a## and ##\beta=\sigma^b## for some integers ##a,b\in [0, p)##. Basically, does the following proof work?

1) Let ##\sigma^i,\sigma^j\in C_p##. Then
##\begin{align*}
\sigma^i\cdot (\sigma^j \cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p)) &= \sigma^i\cdot (x_{1+j},\cdots,x_{p+j})\\
&=(x_{(1+j)+i},\dots,x_{(p+j)+i})\\
&=(x_{1+(j+i)},\dots,x_{p+(j+i)})\\
&=\sigma^{i+j}\cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p)\\
&=(\sigma^{i}\sigma^j)\cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p)
\end{align*}##

2) Clearly ##\operatorname{id}_{C_p}\cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p) = (x_1,\dots,x_p)##.

So we have a group action.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##S = \{(x_1, \dots, x_p) \mid x_i \in G, x_1 x_2 \cdots x_p = e\}##.

Let ##C_p## denote cyclic subgroup of ##S_p## of order ##p## generated by the ##p##-cycle, ##\sigma = (1 \, 2 \, \cdots \, p)##. Show that the following rule gives an action of ##C_p## on ##S##
$$
\sigma \cdot (x_1, \dots, x_p) :=
(x_{\sigma(1)}, \dots, x_{\sigma(p)}) = (x_2, x_3, \dots, x_p, x_1).
$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In general showing that something is an action is not too difficult, since we only have to check two things. However, I am a but confused with how this action is defined. Normally, when group actions are defined they are defined for arbitrary elements of the group ##G##. But here it is only defined for the generator of ##G##.
That's not how I read it. First of all, we do not have generators, only simple group elements. So I read ##S## as a subset of ##G^p## such that its "digit product" is the neutral element. For a group action, we only need a set.
So when I try to prove that this is a group action, do I say: Suppose ##\alpha, \beta \in C_p##. Then ##\alpha=\sigma^a## and ##\beta=\sigma^b## for some integers ##a,b\in [0, p)##. Basically, does the following proof work?

1) Let ##\sigma^i,\sigma^j\in C_p##. Then
##\begin{align*}
\sigma^i\cdot (\sigma^j \cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p)) &= \sigma^i\cdot (x_{1+j},\cdots,x_{p+j})\\
&=(x_{(1+j)+i},\dots,x_{(p+j)+i})\\
&=(x_{1+(j+i)},\dots,x_{p+(j+i)})\\
&=\sigma^{i+j}\cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p)\\
&=(\sigma^{i}\sigma^j)\cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p)
\end{align*}##

2) Clearly ##\operatorname{id}_{C_p}\cdot (x_1,\dots,x_p) = (x_1,\dots,x_p)##.

So we have a group action.
My concern is less the action itself, but how do we know that all permutations multiply to ##e## again, i.e. is ##S## closed under this operation? This part is missing in your argument.

fresh_42 said:
That's not how I read it. First of all, we do not have generators, only simple group elements. So I read ##S## as a subset of ##G^p## such that its "digit product" is the neutral element. For a group action, we only need a set.

My concern is less the action itself, but how do we know that all permutations multiply to ##e## again, i.e. is ##S## closed under this operation? This part is missing in your argument.
Well, note that in general for groups, if ##a,b\in G## and if ##ab=e## then ##ba=e##. So if we have ##(x_1,\dots,x_p)## with ##x_1\cdots x_p=e##, then with ##(x_2,x_3\dots,x_p,x_1)## we have ##(x_2x_3\cdots x_p)(x_1) = (x_1)(x_2x_3\cdots x_p) = e##.

Likes fresh_42

What is Cauchy's Theorem in Group Theory?

Cauchy's Theorem states that if a prime number p divides the order of a finite group G, then G contains an element of order p.

Why is Cauchy's Theorem important in Group Theory?

Cauchy's Theorem is important because it provides a way to prove the existence of elements with specific orders in a group, which is often useful in solving problems and proving other theorems in Group Theory.

How is Cauchy's Theorem proved?

The proof of Cauchy's Theorem involves using the concept of group actions and the orbit-stabilizer theorem. It can also be proven using induction on the order of the group.

Can Cauchy's Theorem be generalized to non-prime divisors?

Yes, Cauchy's Theorem can be generalized to non-prime divisors. For example, if a composite number n divides the order of a finite group G, then G contains an element whose order is a multiple of n.

Are there any applications of Cauchy's Theorem outside of Group Theory?

Yes, Cauchy's Theorem has applications in other branches of mathematics, such as combinatorics and number theory. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of crystal structures and symmetry groups.