Massless Particles: Force Bearing & Propagation Speeds

In summary, it is true that all the massless particles discovered so far are force carriers, but this is not a fundamental requirement. In the early universe, all the particles were massless before a phase transition caused most of them to acquire mass. Additionally, not all force carriers in our current universe are massless, and what we consider tangible particles were also massless in the early universe. Therefore, it cannot be said that forces propagate at the speed of light while tangible particles cannot.
geordief
It looks to me like all the massless particles so far discovered may be force bearing particles, there being 3 of them.

Am I right?

If so can it be said that forces propagate at the speed of light whilst what we might think of a tangible particles cannot?

I did post this question on another forum

http://www.thephysicsforum.com/special-general-relativity/7080-massless-particles-inertial-frame-dependent-speed-invariance.html

but didn't get an answer to my last post there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
geordief said:
It looks to me like all the massless particles so far discovered may be force bearing particles, there being 3 of them.

Am I right?

Sort of. It's true that, in our current universe, the only particles that are massless (photons, gluons, and gravitons--the last one has not been detected but is believed to exist) are force carriers. However, in the early universe, that was not the case: all of the Standard Model particles were massless. As the universe cooled, a phase transition took place that caused most of the Standard Model particles to acquire mass through their interaction with the Higgs field. So there is no fundamental requirement that massless particles must be force carriers; it just happens to be that way in our universe because of how it evolved.

geordief said:
can it be said that forces propagate at the speed of light whilst what we might think of a tangible particles cannot?

No. First, there are force carriers in our current universe that are not massless--the weak bosons (W+, W-, and Z). Second, as above, what we think of as "tangible particles" were massless in the early universe.

thanks a lot.

1. What are massless particles?

Massless particles are particles that have no rest mass, meaning they do not possess inertia or a resistance to acceleration. Examples of massless particles include photons, gluons, and gravitons.

2. How do massless particles interact with other particles?

Massless particles interact through a force known as the electromagnetic force. This force is mediated by virtual photons, which are particles that are constantly being exchanged between charged particles.

3. Can massless particles have a force-bearing component?

Yes, massless particles can have a force-bearing component. For example, photons carry the electromagnetic force and gluons carry the strong nuclear force.

4. What is the propagation speed of massless particles?

The propagation speed of massless particles is always equal to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

5. Can massless particles travel at different speeds?

No, massless particles always travel at the speed of light and cannot be slowed down or sped up. This is due to their lack of rest mass, which allows them to travel at the maximum possible speed in the universe.