Master in theoretical/mathematical physics. Guidance.

In summary, the person is seeking advice on what master's degree and courses to take for their future studies. They are a physics student and are interested in theoretical and mathematical physics, particularly in complex analysis and quantum mechanics. They would like suggestions on which master's degree to pursue and if they should focus on theoretical or mathematical physics. They also mention some subjects they find interesting, but have not had any lectures on, and would like recommendations based on the information given rather than their own thoughts.
Quantum Student
Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what master’s degree or which specific master courses I should take.

I am a physics student and I am going to finish my bachelor in physics next year. I plan to do a master in theoretical physics or in mathematical physics. However I am not quite sure which specific master degree or which specific master courses I should choose.

What I enjoyed most in my studies were the lectures on theoretical physics and on math. My two favorite subjects were complex analysis and quantum mechanics, so I would like to do a master’s degree that is related to these two subjects.

I like to have some math lectures along my studies, although I often don’t enjoy the proofs given by the mathematicians and prefer the ones done by physicists in theoretical physics. This is also why the courses of mathematical methods of physics, which basically was math without proofs or with only a few proofs, were among my favorite.

Based on this, does anyone have some suggestions which master degree or which master courses suit best to me and also if I should rather go with theoretical physics or with mathematical physics.

Finally, I want to know if the following subjects all go into one direction of studies (which one?) or how they are best combined in a master degree: Particle physics, general relativity, quantum field theory, string theory, quantum gravity, quantum computing. However, although I feel like these 6 listed subjects seem to be interesting, I have to say that I have never had any lectures on these and thus do not know very much about their contents. Additionally, there may be other subjects which I have never had, but which I might find very interesting if I would have had some lectures about it. So rather base your suggestions upon the information given at the top than on the final remark I gave at the bottom.

I hope that anyone has some good advice for me.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you not have an academic advisor that you can ask this very question to?

What you should take and what courses are necessary can depend on where you go to school. Different schools have different requirements, especially when you have a less well-defined goals such as the one you described. Only a faculty member that either knows you and your ability, or knows the required curriculum at a particular school can tell you what you should be taking or make recommendations.

Zz.

1. What is the difference between theoretical and mathematical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on developing and testing theories to explain natural phenomena. It involves the use of mathematical models and equations to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. Mathematical physics, on the other hand, uses mathematical methods to study the fundamental principles of physics and to solve complex problems. It is an interdisciplinary field that combines physics and mathematics to understand the underlying mathematical structures of the physical world.

2. What skills do I need to succeed in a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics?

To succeed in a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics, you will need a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. You should also have a solid understanding of classical and quantum mechanics, as well as knowledge of advanced topics such as electromagnetism and thermodynamics. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also essential, as well as the ability to think creatively and critically.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics?

Graduates with a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Many pursue careers in research, working in fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, or quantum mechanics. Others may work in industries that require advanced mathematical and analytical skills, such as finance, data science, or engineering. Some may also choose to pursue teaching and academia, becoming professors or researchers at universities.

4. What is the difference between a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics and a PhD in theoretical/mathematical physics?

A Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics is a graduate-level degree that typically takes 2-3 years to complete. It provides students with a strong foundation in the principles and theories of physics, as well as advanced mathematical skills. A PhD, on the other hand, is a research-based degree that requires students to make original contributions to the field of theoretical/mathematical physics. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and prepares students for careers in academia or research.

5. How can I prepare for a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics?

To prepare for a Master's in theoretical/mathematical physics, it is important to have a strong background in mathematics and physics. Taking advanced courses in these subjects in high school and undergraduate studies will be beneficial. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as staying updated on current developments in the field, can also help prepare you for the rigorous coursework of a Master's program. It may also be helpful to reach out to current students or professors in the program to gain more insight and advice on how to best prepare for the program.