Master PDE Problem Solving: Separation of Variables Explained

• Thread starter joshthekid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary: Sorry the equal sign might helpSo first I defined Ψ(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)thus the equation becomesy*∂(X(x)Y(y)/∂x-(x/3)*∂(X(x)Y(y)/∂y=0Rearranging and using the multiplication ruley*Y(y)d(X(x))/dx=(x/3)*X(x)d(Y(y))/dyRearranging againy*(1/X(x))d(X(x))dy=(x/3)*(1/Y(y))*d(
joshthekid

Homework Statement

Solve y*∂Ψ/∂x-(x/3)∂Ψ/∂y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told me to try separation of variables but and I tried to set Ψ=X(x)Y(y) where X is a function of just X and Y is a function of just y but when I got the solution and put it into the original pde it did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
joshthekid said:
y*∂Ψ/∂x-(x/3)∂Ψ/∂y
Where is the equal sign?
joshthekid said:
My teacher told me to try separation of variables but and I tried to set Ψ=X(x)Y(y) where X is a function of just X and Y is a function of just y but when I got the solution and put it into the original pde it did not work.
Can you post your work as well as the answer you got?

blue_leaf77 said:
Where is the equal sign?
Sorry the equal sign might help The equation is
y*∂Ψ/∂x-(x/3)*∂ψ/∂x=0
blue_leaf77 said:
Can you post your work as well as the answer you got?
So first I defined Ψ(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)
thus the equation becomes
y*∂(X(x)Y(y)/∂x-(x/3)*∂(X(x)Y(y)/∂y=0
Rearranging and using the multiplication rule
y*Y(y)d(X(x))/dx=(x/3)*X(x)d(Y(y))/dy
Rearranging again
y*(1/X(x))d(X(x))dy=(x/3)*(1/Y(y))*d(Y(y))dx
then integrating
y^2/2*ln(X(x))=x^2/6*ln(Y(y))+c

That is as far as I got.

joshthekid said:
y*∂Ψ/∂x-(x/3)*∂ψ/∂x=0

Rearrange the above so one side of the equation only depends on x and the other only on y .

Then each side must equal a constant, Right?

Last edited:
joshthekid said:
y*∂Ψ/∂x-(x/3)*∂ψ/∂x=0

Rearranging and using the multiplication rule
y*Y(y)d(X(x))/dx=(x/3)*X(x)d(Y(y))/dy
Rearranging again
y*(1/X(x))d(X(x))dy=(x/3)*(1/Y(y))*d(Y(y))dx
then integrating
y^2/2*ln(X(x))=x^2/6*ln(Y(y))+c

That is as far as I got.
That last step is incorrect- you cannot Integrate that way!
Instead, at the point where you have yX'/X= (x/3)Y'/Y, divide both sides by xy/3 to get 3X'/(xX)= Y'/(yY).
The left side depends only on x while the right side depends only on y. But the equation has to be true for all x and y. Imagine changing x while not changing y. Since y does not change the right side does not change. But that means the left side cannot change! That is 3X'/(xX)= C, a constant. Since 3X'/(xX)= Y'/(yY), we also have Y'/yY= C.

3X'/(xX)= C is the same as 3dX/dx= CxX, a separable differential equation.

Mod note: Removed some text as being too much help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Master PDE Problem Solving: Separation of Variables Explained

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is the process for solving a PDE?

The process for solving a PDE involves identifying the type of PDE (e.g. elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic), determining the appropriate boundary and initial conditions, and applying various solution techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or finite difference methods.

3. What are some common difficulties in solving PDEs?

Some common difficulties in solving PDEs include the complexity of the equations, the need for specialized mathematical techniques, and the sensitivity of the solutions to initial and boundary conditions. Additionally, certain types of PDEs may not have closed-form solutions and require numerical methods for approximation.

4. Are there any software tools available for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are various software tools available for solving PDEs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and COMSOL. These tools use numerical methods to solve PDEs and can handle complex equations and boundary conditions.

5. How are PDEs used in real-world applications?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and understand various physical phenomena, design and optimize systems, and make predictions about real-world scenarios. Some examples include modeling the spread of diseases, predicting weather patterns, and designing efficient heat transfer systems.