Mastering Camera Focusing: Tips & Results

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the speaker shares a tip about focusing, particularly when using manual focus lenses. They suggest practicing on moving objects and give examples of how focusing on different parts of the subject can produce different results. They also mention the benefits of having the skill to manually focus, such as increased flexibility and the ability to use cheaper lenses.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'd like to share this tip, regarding focusing.

Two of my three lenses are manual focus, so I've had to learn how to focus properly and quickly. When I first got my camera about 4 years ago, my lack of skill in focusing was obvious- at the time, I didn't appreciate how difficult it is to accurately place a plane of focus when using a fast lens, and I've made a few suggestions previously (smoke, fire) to get some practice focusing on objects that move quickly.

Now that the weather has finally warmed up, I've been practicing on birds, squirrels, etc. using my telephoto, and I wanted to share some results (these are all 1:1 crops).

The 'rule' is to place the plane of focus on an eyeball, like this:

DSC03028-1dragged_zps18b40221.jpg

Notice that the beak is already out of focus- the depth of field is less than a centimeter. Alternatively, if I 'break the rule' and focus on a nose, the eyes are blurred. This can be pleasing as well:

DSC02994_zpsca15aac1.jpg

I suggest taking some time and working on your technique. Even though it's tricky and sometimes frustrating, when I 'hit' focus properly, the results are quite satisfying:

DSC02790_zps1a6a682e.jpg

Sure, autofocus makes this much easier. But having the skill to manually focus will give you more flexibility and control when you are composing your shot. Plus, you can use cheaper lenses...

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
I'd like to share this tip, regarding focusing.

Two of my three lenses are manual focus, so I've had to learn how to focus properly and quickly. When I first got my camera about 4 years ago, my lack of skill in focusing was obvious- at the time, I didn't appreciate how difficult it is to accurately place a plane of focus when using a fast lens, and I've made a few suggestions previously (smoke, fire) to get some practice focusing on objects that move quickly.

Now that the weather has finally warmed up, I've been practicing on birds, squirrels, etc. using my telephoto, and I wanted to share some results (these are all 1:1 crops).

The 'rule' is to place the plane of focus on an eyeball, like this:

Notice that the beak is already out of focus- the depth of field is less than a centimeter. Alternatively, if I 'break the rule' and focus on a nose, the eyes are blurred. This can be pleasing as well:

I suggest taking some time and working on your technique. Even though it's tricky and sometimes frustrating, when I 'hit' focus properly, the results are quite satisfying:

Sure, autofocus makes this much easier. But having the skill to manually focus will give you more flexibility and control when you are composing your shot. Plus, you can use cheaper lenses...

you could up the f-stop a bit and that will increase your DOF, resulting in more of the subject being in focus :)

would be interesting to see the EXIF data for those bird shots

cheers
Dave

1. What are some tips for mastering camera focusing?

Some tips for mastering camera focusing include practicing with different subjects and lighting conditions, using the right focus mode for the situation, adjusting the aperture for depth of field, and utilizing manual focus when needed.

2. How do I know if my photos are in focus?

The best way to determine if your photos are in focus is to zoom in and check the details of the subject. You can also use the focus peaking feature on some cameras to highlight the areas in focus.

3. What is the difference between auto and manual focus?

Auto focus uses the camera's technology to automatically adjust the focus to a specific point in the frame, while manual focus allows the photographer to manually adjust the focus by turning a ring or using a focus wheel on the lens.

4. How can I improve my focusing accuracy?

To improve your focusing accuracy, try using single point focus instead of multiple points, use a tripod for stability, and make sure your subject is well-lit and has enough contrast for the camera to focus on.

5. What should I do if my camera is having trouble focusing?

If your camera is having trouble focusing, try cleaning the lens and contacts, checking the focus mode and settings, and using manual focus if necessary. You may also need to send your camera for repairs if the issue persists.