The Lens Matters More Than the Camera: A Personal Story

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the conversation revolved around the importance of investing in good lenses rather than a high-end camera body. The speaker shared their experience with using different adapters and the noticeable difference in image quality. They also discussed their dream lenses and the high cost of some professional lenses. The conversation ended with a demonstration of the effect of a lensed adapter on image sharpness.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Sadly, my camera (Sony a850) is 'beyond repair'. It served with honor and distinction for 6 years, I took about 200k images with it.

Until I replace it, I've been sharing my kids' Canon 1100D (Rebel T3)- an entry level camera- so I got a Nikon-EF adapter. Well.

6 years ago, when I re-discovered 35mm photography, I made a choice to spend my cash on good lenses rather than a high-end camera body. At the time, this meant I needed a Nikon-Alpha adapter, and these have a lens inside. I knew that the adapter lens degraded the performance of the camera lens (both vignetting and aberrations), but I rationalized my choice of a Sony body and used Nikon manual-focus lenses due to the significant cost savings.

So now I'm using the Nikon lenses without a lensed adapter, and the difference is more than I guessed: here's a 400% crop (no interpolation, jpg straight out of the camera) of the moon, taken with the Sony:

17-1_zps6cl1atuq.jpg

The zoom makes it hard to tell, but this image is extremely sharp- this particular feature on the moon is one of the 'benchmarks' I use to judge atmospheric distortion, camera shake, etc. Now here's the same area taken with the Canon (also jpg, straight off the camera):

IMG_1946-1_zpswhnjy8pr.jpg

The difference is quite dramatic and results only from the lack of an intermediate lens- the pixel pitch is similar.

The moral of the story is clear- the lens matters more than the camera. When you are ready for a digital camera with interchangeable lenses, spend your money on the lenses rather than the camera- a good lens will last many generations of camera bodies. Unfortunately, newer lenses often omit the aperture ring, which potentially limits their ability to be used on future camera bodies (I'm looking at you, 85/1.4 G!).

Personally, since my lenses are all F-mount, I'm going to share the 1100D until the price of a Nikon D810 drops a bit more; I need the full-frame sensor to take full advantage of my wide angle lens. An attractive alternative (for me) is the D750, we'll see what mood Santa is in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your cam shoot raw? I'd be curious to see a comparison there. That would eliminate jpeg compression as a confounding factor in your comparisons.

Likes davenn
Is it just me, or does the bottom picture look more detailed than the top?

Likes davenn and DaveC426913
Drakkith said:
Is it just me, or does the bottom picture look more detailed than the top?
It's just you. The bottom picture looks more detailed because it is more strongly pixelated and thus has sharper edges so looks more detailed but actually has lost some of the gradations. That is, it looks sharper, but that is not due to a correct representation of reality but rather an artifact of the pixelation.

phinds said:
It's just you. The bottom picture looks more detailed because it is more strongly pixelated and thus has sharper edges so looks more detailed but actually has lost some of the gradations. That is, it looks sharper, but that is not due to a correct representation of reality but rather an artifact of the pixelation.
I disagree. I know what you're getting at, and I examined this carefully for that very thing. Edge contrast is certainly a factor in making a picture appear more detailed than it is, I agree with that.

But I see finer gradients and more detail in the areas where it's not burned out. I would say these are bona fide details.
resolution.png

DaveC426913 said:
Does your cam shoot raw? I'd be curious to see a comparison there. That would eliminate jpeg compression as a confounding factor in your comparisons.

I don't think the 1100D has RAW. It's a entry-level camera.

phinds said:
It's a tough call. You may be right. @Andy Resnick, what say you?

I think the lack of an adapter lens results in a sharper image. Plus, there's no vignetting. The difference is even more dramatic off-center.

Andy Resnick said:
I think the lack of an adapter lens results in a sharper image.

agreed, the less glass in the path is always a good thing :smile:

over the last few years, I have gone all out, no expense spared, on good glass
The old adage, "Do it right, do it once"
so far has cost me over $6000 for 3 top lenses for my Canon 5D3Dave

davenn said:
over the last few years, I have gone all out, no expense spared, on good glass
The old adage, "Do it right, do it once"
so far has cost me over $6000 for 3 top lenses for my Canon 5D3

Yep, I spent about the same. But we'll (probably) never have to buy another lens.

Except I still want the 200/4 Micro-Nikkor, 12/5.6 Voigtlander, 85/1.4 Otus, 60mm and 7.45mm Coastal Optics lenses... :)

Last edited:
Andy Resnick said:
Yep, I spent about the same. But we'll (probably) never have to buy another lens.

my dream lens is the Canon EF 400mm f2.8, just a drop in the bucket at AU$12,500 hahaha
have a fellow tog that has one ... its awesome for low light event photography and would be awesome for astro workDave

Likes Drakkith and Silicon Waffle
davenn said:
my dream lens is the Canon EF 400mm f2.8, just a drop in the bucket at AU$12,500 hahaha
have a fellow tog that has one ... its awesome for low light event photography and would be awesome for astro work

Exactly why I waited until a good used one appeared. Snagged it for $2k. Patience pays off...

Likes davenn
Andy Resnick said:
Exactly why I waited until a good used one appeared. Snagged it for $2k. Patience pays off...

lucky you :) ... yeah, I would happily pay 2 - 3k for one, but 12k+ it aint going to happen haha

Likes Andy Resnick
More data showing the effect of a lensed adapter; these are images of Rupes Recta, both jpgs taken with identical settings (800/5.6, same shutter and ISO settings). This feature is about 2.5km across, with a height differential of only about 300m. The images are scaled 400%, no interpolation. If printed as displayed, the moon would be about 5 feet in diameter.

First, the Sony:

sony_bw_3_zpsjxp8wto2.jpg

Next, the Nikon:

nikon_bw_3_zpsnsdfrrae.jpg

It's like a veil was lifted off the lens...

Likes Drakkith
That is quite an improvement.

1. What is the main idea of "The Lens Matters More Than the Camera: A Personal Story"?

The main idea of the story is that the quality of the lens used in photography plays a significant role in capturing great photos, even more so than the camera itself.

2. What personal experience does the author share in the story?

The author shares their own experience of upgrading from a basic camera to a professional one and realizing the importance of investing in high-quality lenses.

3. Why does the quality of the lens matter more than the camera?

The quality of the lens determines the amount of light that enters the camera and how it is focused, ultimately affecting the sharpness, clarity, and overall quality of the photo. A high-quality lens can compensate for the limitations of a lower-end camera, but a great camera cannot make up for a poor quality lens.

4. Does this mean that the camera is not important at all?

No, the camera is still an important factor in photography. A professional camera has features and capabilities that can enhance the final image, but without a good lens, those features cannot be fully utilized.

5. Can I achieve great photos with a basic camera and a high-quality lens?

Yes, investing in a high-quality lens can greatly improve the quality of your photos, even with a basic camera. However, it is important to keep in mind that a professional camera may offer additional features and capabilities that can further enhance your photography.