Mastering Circuits: Filters Homework Statement & Equations

In summary, a bandpass filter allows frequencies between a certain range, depending on the values of your circuit elements. Changing those circuit elements into the s-domain and writing a node equation at [;V_o;] gives you the transfer function. Doing some algebra, you can get the damping factor and range. Increasing R will increase your damping factor.
funk21

Homework Statement

photo-8-1.jpg

Homework Equations

*in picture

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start. This is a review but I have not covered it yet or if we did, it was very brief?

Physics news on Phys.org
if vi were a dc voltage source, it would have the lowest frequency possible (0 Hz). How do inductors and capacitors behave when DC voltage is applied to them as you look at t -> infinity? What would the voltage across the parallel combination of an inductor and a capacitor have to be if they behave that way?

As freq -> infinity, inductors and capacitors behave oppositely to how they behave for f = 0. Apply the same reasoning as above except with the new simplifications for when f -> infinity.

edit:
Oh yeah. I guess your first step would be understanding what the different types of filters are:

if you find that the circuit has:
nonzero 0Hz and zero inf. Hz response, it is probably a lowpass
zero 0Hz and nonzero inf. Hz response, it is probably highpass
zero for both, probably bandpass
nonzero for both, probably bandstop

Last edited:
Well, it looks like a bandpass filter. It allows frequencies between a certain range, depending on the values of your circuit elements. It becomes more apparent when you find the transfer function.

If you change those circuit elements into the s-domain, and then write a node equation at [;V_o;], you get:

[;\frac{V_o - V_i}{R}+\frac{V_o}{Ls};+V_o*Cs = 0;]

Doing some algebra, you can get the transfer function,

[;\frac{V_o(s)}{V_i(s)} = \frac{s}{RC*s^2+R*s+\frac{R}{L}};]

with a little more algebra, we can get it into a useful form:

[;\frac{s\frac{1}{RC}}{s^2+s\frac{1}{C}+\frac{1}{LC}};]

For analysis, if you change it into the frequency domain ([;s = j*\omega;]), set some values for our elements and vary the frequency, we can see what will happen. I find it rather easy in MATLAB. There are equations to see where your range will be, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Something about 3dB. This is where you can get into design.

I guess your best bet is to do a frequency response and graph the frequencies from like 0Hz to 1MHz. You'll see your bandpass

Also, we can see as we increase R, the output will decrease. So I think it's safe to say that increasing R will increase your damping factor.

Hopefully this helped.

Last edited:

Related to Mastering Circuits: Filters Homework Statement & Equations

What is the purpose of mastering circuits and filters?

The purpose of mastering circuits and filters is to understand the behavior and properties of electric circuits and how they can be controlled and manipulated through the use of filters. This knowledge is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, electronics, and telecommunications.

What are the main types of filters used in circuit analysis?

The main types of filters used in circuit analysis are low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-stop filters. These filters are designed to allow certain frequencies to pass through while blocking others, making them useful in various applications such as signal processing and noise reduction.

What are the key equations used in mastering circuits and filters?

The key equations used in mastering circuits and filters include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the equations for calculating voltage, current, and resistance in series and parallel circuits. In filter analysis, the key equations involve the transfer function, cutoff frequency, and frequency response.

How can I improve my understanding of mastering circuits and filters?

To improve your understanding of mastering circuits and filters, it is important to practice solving problems and working with real-world circuits. Additionally, studying the underlying concepts and theories behind circuits and filters, and seeking guidance from experts or online resources can also be helpful.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with circuits and filters?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with circuits and filters include incorrect application of Kirchhoff's laws, incorrect calculation of resistance in parallel circuits, and not considering the effects of impedance in AC circuits. It is also important to carefully select and analyze the appropriate filter for a given application.