Material Derivative (Convective Derivative Operator)

In summary, the conversation discusses the material derivative and its relation to local and convective derivatives. The question asks whether the convective acceleration term works like 1) (v⋅∇)v, 2) v⋅(∇v), or if these are equivalent. The expert clarifies that both expressions are equivalent as the dot product of a vector with a tensor produces a vector.
thehappypenguin
Hi,

I've learned that material derivative is equal to local derivative + convective derivative, but can't seem to find out which way the convective derivative acts, like for example in velocity fields:

The equation my teacher gave us was (with a and v all/both vectors):
Acceleration = material derivative of velocity = local acceleration + convective acceleration
∴ a = Dv/Dt = dv/dt + v⋅∇v

My question is whether the convective acceleration term (v⋅∇v) works like:
1. (v⋅∇)v, which in my understanding is the (v⋅∇) operator working on the vector v
2. v⋅(∇v), which I take as the grad operator working on the vector v, dotted with the vector v outside the brackets
3. Or is it that Options 1 and 2 are the same thing anyway?

[Side note: Sorry, I'm new to PF and don't know how to use the equation symbols or LaTeX.]

Thank you in advance for your help! :)
- TheHappyPenguin

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thehappypeguin!

1) and 2) are equivalent expressions, so technically 3) is correct. I'm sure someone else here can easily send you to a link where you can figure out latex, if that's what you're trying to figure out.

Likes thehappypenguin and Chestermiller
Even if you can't write in LaTex, you can still use a writing to distinguish vectors from scalars. So write v for the velocity vector and v for its modulus (or projection onto a coordinate axis). :)

Likes thehappypenguin
Thank you! I'll look up latex when I have time :)

About the Material Derivative, I read some more about it online and found that in Pgs 1-3 of http://www.chem.mtu.edu/~fmorriso/cm4650/lecture_6.pdf, ∇v is a tensor which would make 2) different from 1) as 1) is a vector. Is this accurate?

Thank you again!
- TheHappyPenguin :)

thehappypenguin said:
Thank you! I'll look up latex when I have time :)

About the Material Derivative, I read some more about it online and found that in Pgs 1-3 of http://www.chem.mtu.edu/~fmorriso/cm4650/lecture_6.pdf, ∇v is a tensor which would make 2) different from 1) as 1) is a vector. Is this accurate?

Thank you again!
- TheHappyPenguin :)

Yes, [itex]\nabla \vec{v}[/itex] is a tensor, but no, the two expressions are not different. The dot product of a vector with a tensor (of the right type) produces a vector. So both

[itex](\vec{v} \cdot \nabla) \vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v} \cdot (\nabla \vec{v})[/itex] produce vectors.

Related to Material Derivative (Convective Derivative Operator)

1. What is the Material Derivative (Convective Derivative Operator)?

The Material Derivative, also known as the Convective Derivative Operator, is a mathematical tool used in fluid mechanics to describe the rate of change of a physical property of a fluid particle as it moves through space and time.

2. How is the Material Derivative calculated?

The Material Derivative is calculated by taking the partial derivative of a property with respect to time, and adding the product of the velocity vector and the gradient of the property with respect to position.

3. What is the significance of the Material Derivative in fluid mechanics?

The Material Derivative is significant in fluid mechanics because it allows us to track the changes in a fluid particle's properties as it moves through space and time, taking into account both its convective and local changes.

4. Can the Material Derivative be applied to other physical properties besides velocity?

Yes, the Material Derivative can be applied to any physical property that changes over time and space, such as temperature, density, and pressure.

5. How is the Material Derivative used in practical applications?

The Material Derivative is used in practical applications such as weather forecasting, oceanography, and aerodynamics, to study the behavior of fluids and make predictions based on the changes in their properties over time and space.