Material of Construction for hot brine (NaCl) solution

In summary: Don't have a pH measurement but I could take some. I'm assuming it will be very close to neutral. i.e. pH=7.0.
rollingstein
Gold Member
What's a suitable Material of construction for equipment handling hot brine (NaCl) solutions? Temperature is max approx. 100 C.

I'm conflicted if or not SS316 works? I looked up an old handbook and it reported a corrosion rate of 0.2 mm/year (@80 C) which seems not too bad to me. But I've heard others say that SS316 won't work.

Any thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Three hundred series are subject to stress corrosion cracking. What pressures? How heavy are you planning on building?

Bystander said:
Three hundred series are subject to stress corrosion cracking. What pressures? How heavy are you planning on building?

Thanks! This is supposed to be a multi effect evaporator for recycling water from a waste NaCl solution stream. The downstream effects should be under vacuum and the very first effect at or close to atmospheric.

Basically, the Temperature / Pressure parameters can float so long as I get a feasible evaporator design. The goal is to see if I can avoid using an exotic (read expensive) allow. Unless there is a more suitable alloy yet not terribly expensive.

The feed load is around 1000 Litres-per-hour so it won't be very huge but I guess not a tiny lab unit either.

The life doesn't have to be fantastically long. A useful service life of 3-5 years would serve.

Corrosion rates at those conditions should be pretty reasonable matches to what you'll find in handbooks. Have you considered copper? People used to clad wooden hulls with copper and I don't recall that it required replacement. Which does bring to mind the electrochemical angle --- you might want to look at some sort of anodic protection system --- if you can tolerate zinc or other metals in your brine.

How about just any basic cheap metal like aluminum or regular steel with a thin ceramic coating?

Bystander said:
Corrosion rates at those conditions should be pretty reasonable matches to what you'll find in handbooks. Have you considered copper? People used to clad wooden hulls with copper and I don't recall that it required replacement. Which does bring to mind the electrochemical angle --- you might want to look at some sort of anodic protection system --- if you can tolerate zinc or other metals in your brine.

Zinc contamination is totally ok. The salt will probably go to a landfill anyways. Or some low cost, low purity market.

Copper is interesting. I will look. How'd Copper compare against SS316 for price (fabrication + material costs). I don't see much plant equipment fabricated in Copper any more (outside of distillaries) so finding a vendor who makes multi effect evaporators in copper might be harder.

That's probably the big determinant --- vendor experience with the material of interest.

Danger said:
How about just any basic cheap metal like aluminum or regular steel with a thin ceramic coating?

Aluminium would be good. But is it any better at NaCl resistance than SS316?

Steel with a ceramic coating sounds exotic to me. Do you know if this is a commonly used fabrication material for process equipment?

Aluminum and hot brine? Have you got any pH measurements on the brine you're evaporating? You could try a sample in a cheap aluminum pan on a hot plate.
It might be tough to maintain integrity of ceramic coatings for what is presumably going to be a sheet metal fabrication. There are epoxy coatings which might be rated for the temperatures you're running.

Bystander said:
Aluminum and hot brine? Have you got any pH measurements on the brine you're evaporating? You could try a sample in a cheap aluminum pan on a hot plate.
It might be tough to maintain integrity of ceramic coatings for what is presumably going to be a sheet metal fabrication. There are epoxy coatings which might be rated for the temperatures you're running.

Don't have a pH measurement but I could take some. I'm assuming it will be very close to neutral. i.e. pH=7.0.

I agree about the difficulties with ceramic. An epoxy coat is a good idea. For one epoxy sounds less brittle than ceramic. I'm suspecting ceramic being finicky like glass coats on MS. Also, if it is a spray-on ceramic / rubberized layer then a coat post fabrication might be not too difficult.

The worry I have is whether it can be a good heat transfer surface. After all, we need to evaporate stuff.

Long as you don't trowel it on too thickly it shouldn't degrade performance too much.

"Dragonskin." Copyright/trademark/something --- and I can't get my hands on any of the "propaganda" sheets at the moment --- supposed to be magical for some purposes for gun nuts like me. Haven't really looked at it, because I don't want to "improve" finishes on my collection. Probably an epoxy, but can't be sure.

rollingstein said:
Aluminium would be good. But is it any better at NaCl resistance than SS316?
I actually meant that the ceramic coating would be applied to that or whatever other metal you choose. Since you mentioned that the device would be small, I thought that perhaps you could just pour in a ceramic slurry, slosh it around, pour it out, and then bake the remainder onto the surface.

rollingstein said:
The worry I have is whether it can be a good heat transfer surface. After all, we need to evaporate stuff.
That could be an issue. I hadn't thought of that aspect. I was just thinking that it seems pretty impervious to many chemicals, and salt is a fairly innocuous one in that regard.

Bystander said:
"Dragonskin." Copyright/trademark/something --- and I can't get my hands on any of the "propaganda" sheets at the moment
Is this the stuff that you mean? http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1129/index.html
There is also a line of body armour with the same name, which perhaps uses the same substance (although it claims to contain titanium as well as silicone, and it has a lot of negative reviews from soldiers who have used it).

Frankly, I don't see why something that will be restricted to 100° C needs to be made of metal at all. Why not something like Torlon or structural nylon?

rollingstein said:
What's a suitable Material of construction for equipment handling hot brine (NaCl) solutions? Temperature is max approx. 100 C.

I'm conflicted if or not SS316 works? I looked up an old handbook and it reported a corrosion rate of 0.2 mm/year (@80 C) which seems not too bad to me. But I've heard others say that SS316 won't work.

Any thoughts?
316/316L would be better than 304/304L, but these days, 316 has been superseded by 6-7 Mo SS, and higher Ni content, like 254 SMO or 654 SMO, or AL-6XN, and 4-5 MO stainless steel like 904L.

There are some other considerations depending on pH, O-content, Fe-content, and so on.
http://www.stainless-steel-world.net/pdf/11004.pdf
http://products.asminternational.org/fach/data/fullDisplay.do?database=faco&record=386&search=
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/~/Media/Files/TechnicalLiterature/GuidelinesforNickelStainlessSteelsforMarineEnvironmentsNaturalWatersandBrines_11003_.pdf

Consider also - https://www.atimetals.com/news/corrosion-conference/Documents/CSC09-pdfs/PAPER_3A1_HOUSER.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes rollingstein

1. What is the best material of construction for hot brine (NaCl) solution?

The best material of construction for hot brine solution depends on several factors, such as temperature, concentration, and pressure. Generally, materials such as stainless steel, titanium, and nickel alloys are suitable for handling hot brine solutions.

2. Why is it important to choose the right material of construction for hot brine (NaCl) solution?

Choosing the right material of construction is important because hot brine solutions can be corrosive and can cause damage to equipment if the material is not compatible. It is also essential for maintaining the integrity and safety of the system.

3. Can I use carbon steel for handling hot brine (NaCl) solution?

No, carbon steel is not recommended for handling hot brine solutions. It is not corrosion-resistant and can react with the brine, leading to corrosion and potential leaks in the system.

4. Is there a limit to the temperature and concentration of hot brine (NaCl) solution that certain materials can handle?

Yes, each material has a limit to the temperature and concentration of hot brine solution it can handle. It is important to consult with a materials expert or refer to material compatibility charts to determine the appropriate material for your specific conditions.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of the material of construction for hot brine (NaCl) solution?

To ensure the longevity of the material of construction, regular maintenance and proper operating conditions are essential. It is also important to monitor the temperature, concentration, and pressure of the hot brine solution to prevent any unexpected changes that may damage the material.