Material selection for food grade application

In summary, a designer is tasked with creating an above-head rack system for hanging meats in a small meat locker. They are looking for a suitable food grade material and have considered using stainless steel piping. However, they are unsure if this is appropriate and have not yet calculated stress or displacement. Other experts suggest using 304 or 316 stainless steel, with 316L being preferred for welded parts. It is mentioned that 316L can withstand cleaning agents and has a smooth surface that minimizes bacteria build-up. The designer plans to consult with a health inspector and will also look into the suitability of 316L.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Hello folks,

Got a project I've been tasked with completing. We have a small meat locker, approximately 4' x 6', and I need to design and build an above-head rack system to hang hams and other meats on. (approximately 50 to 60 lbs each)
Can anyone offer a good starting point for a food grade material? I was looking at some threaded stainless steel piping from McMaster, but I don't know if that is appropriate or not.
I haven't worked up any of the stress calcs or displacement yet. That'll come after I figure out a suitable material. It will also need to bolt to the tile walls of the locker via a flange, hence the initial pipe idea.

Thanks,
Mac

Engineering news on Phys.org
A simple search on ' stainless steels for use in food processing ' returns large amounts of useful information .

Likes berkeman
Nidum said:
A simple search on ' stainless steels for use in food processing ' returns large amounts of useful information .

Why yes, thank you for that generic response.

Do you know which food standard(s) you are building to? Can make a difference.
We make food processing equipment and generally 304 & 316 stainless are pretty good unless you have some specific requirement for chemical cleaning or something.

Likes MacLaddy
GuyTom said:
Do you know which food standard(s) you are building to? Can make a difference.
We make food processing equipment and generally 304 & 316 stainless are pretty good unless you have some specific requirement for chemical cleaning or something.

No, this is very quick, low cost build. Identifying this as "food processing" is probably a stretch as well. It's really just a hanging system for meats that are still wrapped. Ham's, salamis, etc. I just want to cover my bases as a precaution.
I'm sure that I am over complicating this...because I usually do. I'll look into 304 & 316, thanks.

We use a lot of 316 for salty process water. Racks, tanks etc. We make medical devices so similar requirements exist.

Standard 316 is OK for machined parts but we use 316L if it is going to be welded. 316L has a lower carbon content.

Likes MacLaddy
MacLaddy said:
No, this is very quick, low cost build. Identifying this as "food processing" is probably a stretch as well. It's really just a hanging system for meats that are still wrapped.
Is this for a commercial operation? Do you get inspected by your city's Health Inspector like restaurants and food processing facilities do? If so, I would talk with them to see what they are looking for in terms of materials that are suitable for this application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_health_officer

Likes MacLaddy
Hi, our company uses 316L for all its Food and Bev Grade (Hygienic) products.
The two main reasons for this, as far as I understand, is that it can withstand the typical cleaning agents using in CIP (Clean in Place) processes, and that the surface finish is smooth enough to minimize the build up of bacteria and other nasties on the surface.

While certainly not an exciting read, I did find this link fairly interesting http://www.worldstainless.org/Files.../PDF/Euro_Inox/StSt_in_FoodandBeverage_EN.pdf

Likes MacLaddy and berkeman
I apologize for going MIA on this topic. I've been dealing with sweaty concrete this week...

Bandit127 said:
We use a lot of 316 for salty process water. Racks, tanks etc. We make medical devices so similar requirements exist.

Standard 316 is OK for machined parts but we use 316L if it is going to be welded. 316L has a lower carbon content.

Thanks. It likely will be welded.
berkeman said:
Is this for a commercial operation? Do you get inspected by your city's Health Inspector like restaurants and food processing facilities do? If so, I would talk with them to see what they are looking for in terms of materials that are suitable for this application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_health_officer

It is for a commercial kitchen in a hotel, so inspections are fairly routine. Talking to a health inspector is good advice. I'll probably do a quick design with 316L and send it over to one of their inspectors for a once-over.

Tolklein said:
Hi, our company uses 316L for all its Food and Bev Grade (Hygienic) products.
The two main reasons for this, as far as I understand, is that it can withstand the typical cleaning agents using in CIP (Clean in Place) processes, and that the surface finish is smooth enough to minimize the build up of bacteria and other nasties on the surface.

While certainly not an exciting read, I did find this link fairly interesting http://www.worldstainless.org/Files.../PDF/Euro_Inox/StSt_in_FoodandBeverage_EN.pdf

Thanks for the link. I'll look over it tonight.

Likes berkeman

1. What materials are safe for food grade applications?

Some commonly used materials for food grade applications include stainless steel, food grade plastic (such as polypropylene or polyethylene), glass, and silicone. It is important to choose materials that are non-toxic, non-reactive, and have been approved by regulatory agencies for food contact.

2. How do I ensure the safety of food contact materials?

To ensure the safety of food contact materials, it is important to consider factors such as the intended use, potential interactions with food, and the regulatory standards in your region. It is also recommended to obtain materials from reputable suppliers and to perform thorough testing and evaluation before use.

3. Can I reuse food grade materials?

It depends on the specific material and its intended use. Some materials, such as stainless steel, can be reused multiple times without compromising food safety. However, other materials, such as plastic, may degrade over time and should not be reused. It is important to carefully assess the condition and cleanliness of the material before reuse.

4. What is the difference between food grade and food safe materials?

Food grade materials are specifically designed and approved for direct contact with food, while food safe materials may simply meet general safety standards. It is important to choose materials that are specifically labeled as food grade to ensure the highest level of safety for food contact applications.

5. Can I use any type of metal for food grade applications?

No, not all metals are suitable for food grade applications. Metals such as lead, copper, and zinc can leach into food and cause health hazards. It is important to choose metals that are corrosion-resistant, non-toxic, and have been approved for food contact by regulatory agencies.