Stainless Steel Automotive Applications

In summary, the cnc machinist is looking for advice on what stainless steel alloy to use for high strength automotive applications. He is considering using 303 or 304 for parts that are not highly stressed, but is looking for a material that is also affordable.
wildcatmahone
Hi all new to the forum here. I'm a cnc machinist here in Austin Texas looking for some mechanical advice regarding the use of stainless steel in high strength automotive applications.
Basically, I'm planning on starting up my own little business replicating obsolete and out of production components made of stainless steel for antique motorcycles. I would appreciate some guidance and advise as to what stainless alloy to use for high strength applications, such as wheel axles, engine mounting bolts, suspension bolts and components etc. I know some similar individuals are using alloy 303 for these same applications and another is selling high strength stainless bolts out of 17-4PH for auto applications. 303 doesn't seem to be suitable is it? I am also looking into 15-5PH as well for suitable material to use. Basically looking for a middle ground stainless alloy material between strength and also that would also be affordable to my customers.

Thx in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi wildcatmahone,
Welcome to the board. In my experience, selecting the right material for a job is not as easy as looking for high strength or easy machinability. There are many factors you may want to consider.
- Strength (including strength at actual operating temperature)
- Fatigue strength (different than but often related to strength)
- Machinability
- Weldability
- Corrosion resistance
- Resistance to wear
- Resistance to galling
- Hardenability
- Cost

303 is the easy to machine grade of the austenitic (300 series) stainless steels. It has roughly the same strength as the others such as 304 or 316, but fatigue strength may be compromised slightly. It is also not as easy to weld. Like other 300 series SS it will gall easily and can’t be hardened. If corrosion resistance is an issue, 316 is a better performing material but more expensive and harder to machine.

What parts are you interested in making out of the material? Do they see cyclic loads? Are they highly stressed? Or are you just making relatively ornamental parts like handlebars or brake levers? Even some parts that take considerable load are not under significant stress, so an understanding of what stress the material is subjected to is important.

Hi thanks for the reply, as far what I'm planning to make from the stainless alloy I'm looking for, some components will be mainly decorative. While the other components, such as, wheel components (axles,wheel spacers), steering column (triple trees) components, engine mounting and support bolts and brackets. Basically most OEM parts from antique motorcycles that are no longer produced nor copyrighted, I know there is a market for stuff so starting to get my set-up going. Any recommendations as to what ss alloy would fit these applications?

I think as you say, most of those parts are decorative so they aren't highly stressed. Anything made of mild steel could be made from 303 or 304 which has roughly the same strength. Cost may be more or less than 17-4 PH depending on your source.

Axles, bolts and the center post on a triple tree (where the bearings go) might be more highly stressed. If bearings have to run against the part (instead of pressing a race on) then it would need to be hardenable such as 17-4 PH.

There's a nice overview of some common stainless steels on McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel/=6rtocq".

I built a bike about 30 years ago but most of the ornamental stuff was chrome plated. I was always kicking myself because it was so hard to keep clean. I saw a bike featured in Easyriders once made of all stainless, frame and everything. Had a brushed appearance instead of polished. Don't know if that was any easier to clean but anything might help. I think the perfect material would be have to be self cleaning!

Last edited by a moderator:

I would recommend considering using stainless steel alloys 304 or 316 for high strength automotive applications. These alloys have a good balance of strength and corrosion resistance, making them suitable for use in components such as wheel axles, engine mounting bolts, and suspension bolts. Additionally, both of these alloys are readily available and affordable, making them a practical choice for your customers. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of your application when selecting a stainless steel alloy, and consulting with a materials engineer or metallurgist may also be beneficial. Additionally, proper heat treatment and surface finishing techniques can also greatly impact the strength and performance of stainless steel components. Overall, stainless steel is a durable and versatile material that can be a great choice for automotive applications.

Related to Stainless Steel Automotive Applications

1. What is stainless steel and why is it used in automotive applications?

Stainless steel is a type of steel alloy that contains at least 10.5% chromium, which gives it its unique resistance to corrosion and stains. It is commonly used in automotive applications because of its strength, durability, and resistance to harsh environmental conditions.

2. What are the benefits of using stainless steel in automotive applications?

Stainless steel offers several benefits for automotive applications, including high strength-to-weight ratio, excellent corrosion resistance, and low maintenance requirements. It also has a long lifespan, making it a cost-effective choice for car manufacturers.

3. Which automotive components are typically made from stainless steel?

Stainless steel is used in various components throughout a vehicle, including body panels, exhaust systems, brake systems, and suspension components. It is also commonly used in engine parts such as valves, pistons, and connecting rods.

4. How does stainless steel compare to other materials used in automotive applications?

Compared to other materials like aluminum or carbon steel, stainless steel offers superior corrosion resistance, strength, and durability. It is also more cost-effective in the long run due to its low maintenance requirements and long lifespan.

5. Is stainless steel recyclable in automotive applications?

Yes, stainless steel is 100% recyclable and is often reused in new automotive components. This not only reduces the need for raw materials but also helps to reduce the environmental impact of the automotive industry.