Materials for DTL, TTL circuit analysis

In summary, the conversation discussed the upcoming test where the students will be given a dtl or ttl circuit to analyze and calculate its function. The professor stated that the circuit given will always be a useful and existing one, and the students will have to analyze the circuit qualitatively and quantitatively. The person asking for recommendations for extra material and the other person suggested searching Google Images and practicing with data sheets for basic logic gates. The conversation also touched on the usefulness of truth tables and the experience with RTL.
diredragon
Hi fellow forum-ers :),
I have a test in about two weeks where i am going to be given a dtl or ttl circuit which i have to analyse and calculate its function. The professor said that the circuit given to us will always be a useful and existing one meaning he's going to give us some NAND, NOR or similar circuit without specifying which circuit it is and we have to analyse the circuit both qualitatively with a table of inputs - transistor states - outputs to conclude which it is and quantitatively by making calculations and drawing a graph of the circuit with all the points of change drawn on the graphic.
So far i have only found a youtube video by ntelhrd

which deals with this and was wondering if any of you guys can recommend any extra material (preferably in video form if exists) to cover this in more clarity than i got from my lectures?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So have you not covered any of this material in a lecture or classroom?

Averagesupernova said:
So have you not covered any of this material in a lecture or classroom?
We have, but we only just started and i wanted to learn ahead by studying from some other source. It will be covered in the lectures to come but i don't really like the way they explain it.

diredragon said:
We have, but we only just started and i wanted to learn ahead by studying from some other source. It will be covered in the lectures to come but i don't really like the way they explain it.
(I'm really old and even I never learned or used DTL logic, so I'm not of any help on that part) :smile:

I would start with a Google Images search of TTL logic, and be sure that you can figure out each of the dozens and dozens of images that show up. If any confuse you, save them and talk them through with your instructor or classmates. As for guided tutorials, I'd just keep using Google to try to find more of them.

Likes anorlunda
I will give you a start in a few simple lines:
-
OR: Any HIGH on input gives a HIGH on the output.
AND: Any LOW gives a LOW.
NOR: Any HIGH gives a LOW.
NAND: Any LOW gives a HIGH.

Likes dlgoff and jim hardy
Does the term "Truth Table" come to mind? It's a basic but powerful tool .

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
(I'm really old and even I never learned or used DTL logic, so I'm not of any help on that part) :smile:
[OFF TOPIC]I must be really old then, as my old ham mentor introduced me to RTL when it first became available in IC packages.[/END OFF TOPIC]

Likes jim hardy
Some data sheets for basic logic gates show the internal circuit. Perhaps practice analysing some of those?

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What are the key differences between DTL and TTL circuits?

The main difference between DTL (Diode-Transistor Logic) and TTL (Transistor-Transistor Logic) circuits is the number of transistors used in their construction. DTL circuits use a single transistor, while TTL circuits use two transistors. Additionally, TTL circuits have higher speed and better noise immunity compared to DTL circuits.

2. How does the choice of materials affect the performance of DTL and TTL circuits?

The choice of materials can greatly impact the performance of DTL and TTL circuits. For example, using silicon as the base material for transistors in TTL circuits can result in higher speed and lower power consumption, while germanium transistors can provide improved performance in DTL circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using DTL and TTL circuits in comparison to other logic families?

DTL and TTL circuits offer several advantages over other logic families, such as ECL (Emitter-Coupled Logic) and CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor). These include high speed, low power consumption, and better noise immunity. Additionally, DTL and TTL circuits are simpler to design and require fewer components, making them more cost-effective.

4. What are some common applications of DTL and TTL circuits?

DTL and TTL circuits are commonly used in digital systems, such as computers, calculators, and control systems. They are also used in various electronic devices, including televisions, radios, and mobile phones. Additionally, DTL and TTL circuits are often used in industrial and scientific equipment due to their fast response and reliable performance.

5. How can I analyze and troubleshoot DTL and TTL circuits?

To analyze and troubleshoot DTL and TTL circuits, it is important to have a good understanding of their basic principles and how they work. You can use various techniques, such as circuit simulation software, to analyze and test the circuits. Additionally, you can use a multimeter to measure voltage and resistance at different points in the circuit to identify any potential issues.