Math classes to supplement CS degree

In summary, the student is looking for recommendations on classes to supplement their computer science degree and is considering Number Theory and upper level Discrete Mathematics. They also ask for suggestions on a book to help with proofs. Some classes that may be useful for a CS degree include Discrete Mathematics, Numerical Analysis, Automata Theory, Data Mining, Signal Processing, Image Processing, Fourier Analysis, Probability Theory, Probabilistic Theory, Graph Theory, Combinatorics, Game Theory, Combinatorial Geometry, Logic, Complexity Theory, Number Theory, and classes that focus on application such as Matrix and Applied Linear Algebra and Numerical Methods. Linear algebra and probability or statistics may also be required or recommended by the CS department.
ironman1478
Hello Physicsforums, i am a computer science student and i am just wondering what would be some good classes to supplement my CS degree with. i have some free electives from AP courses and i don't really want to waste them. I was thinking of taking a Number Theory class and an upper level Discrete Mathematics class, but i still have a 2-3 more spots. Would analysis or upper level algebra be useful to me or would they be redundant classes?

also, on a side note, can you guys recommend me a book that would help me with proofs. a lot of these upper level classes are pretty proof heavy as i understand it and doing proofs was one of my weak areas in Calc 1 -3 (luckily those classes weren't proof heavy).

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think Analysis (I think you mean Real Analysis) has much to do with CS (from the industry perspective), I don't know about research.

Some classes which can be useful are - Discrete Mathematics, Numerical Analysis, Automata Theory, Data Mining, Signal Processing, Image Processing, Fourier Analysis, Probability Theory, Probabilistic Theory, Graph Theory, Combinatorics, Game Theory, Combinatorial Geometry, Logic, Complexity Theory, Number Theory. Those are the ones I can think of right now.

A book that helped me in a class that was all about proofs is titled How to Prove It. I forgot whom the author is but just search it on amazon and it'll pop right up. It covers a some basic logic and set theory.

About classes to help with a CS degree, my school offers some classes that focus more on application so you use Matlab a lot. Does your school offer anything like that? Some classes that my school offers are Matrix and Applied Linear Algebra, Numerical Methods, Complex Variables, and Fouriers Series. I think some kind of linear algebra is required by the CS department. Also they require probability or statistics. Also recommended math classes are modern algebra and introduction to analysis.

Related to Math classes to supplement CS degree

1. What types of math classes should I take to supplement my CS degree?

There are several types of math classes that can be beneficial for a CS degree, such as calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and statistics. It is also important to consider taking classes in areas such as algorithms, logic, and graph theory.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to do well in CS classes?

Having a strong math background can certainly be helpful in CS classes, but it is not always necessary. Many CS programs provide math foundations courses to help students catch up on any necessary mathematical concepts.

3. Can taking advanced math classes help me in my CS career?

Yes, taking advanced math classes can be beneficial in your CS career. A strong understanding of math can help you with problem-solving, data analysis, and algorithm development, all of which are important skills in the CS field.

4. How will taking math classes impact my workload as a CS major?

Taking math classes as a CS major can certainly add to your workload, but it ultimately depends on the specific classes you take and your own personal strengths and interests. It may require some extra effort, but the benefits of a strong math foundation will be worth it in the long run.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with math concepts while taking CS classes?

Yes, many CS programs offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and online resources to help students with math concepts while taking CS classes. It is also helpful to reach out to your professors or classmates for additional support and clarification.