Math Courses For Condensed Matter Theory or Quantum Optics

In summary, for undergraduates interested in pursuing Quantum Optics or Condensed Matter theory, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs, and complex analysis. Additional courses in advanced quantum mechanics and Fourier Transforms would be beneficial. For those interested in more mathematical/exotic topics, knowledge of topology and abstract algebra is also important. It is suggested to refer to physics-oriented math books and to have a basic understanding of abstract algebra, analysis, or topology before delving into more advanced topics.
PManslaughter
What extra math courses should an undergrad take (or self-study) if they want to go into Quantum Optics or Condensed Matter theory?

I've already taken calculus, linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs, and complex analysis (I will also be doing a second course on linear algebra in two months time).

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not learned that,but I heared if you want learn Quantum Optics you should learn advanced quantum mechanics:the Quantum Field Theory first.

PManslaughter said:
What extra math courses should an undergrad take (or self-study) if they want to go into Quantum Optics or Condensed Matter theory?

I've already taken calculus, linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs, and complex analysis (I will also be doing a second course on linear algebra in two months time).

I'm not sure what course this falls in, but I wish my Quantum Optics students has a stronger grounding in Fourier Transforms- not just transform pairs, but understanding the connection with convolutions, using it to solve PDEs, etc. If you can find a copy of Mandel and Wolf's "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics", you will see what I mean.

Many current research areas in condensed matter theory make a lot of use of topology and some abstract algebra concepts.

radium said:
Many current research areas in condensed matter theory make a lot of use of topology and some abstract algebra concepts.

Any (undergraduate) textbook recommendations for topology and abstract algebra?

Math books would not be the best place to learn about how these topics can be applied to condensed matter. I would recommend the physics oriented math books by Nakahara and Stone and Goldbart. The way physicists approach math is much different than the way mathematicians do so honestly, I think after taking a few basic courses, maybe one or two in abstract algebra, analysis, or topology you should have the ability to learn the other things you need on your own. I have heard this from a lot of theoretical physicists including a very mathematically oriented condensed matter theorists and a string theorist.

The math you use is also highly dependent on what area of CMT you want to go into. The math I mentioned is used in the more mathematical/exotic topics. Some examples include field theoretic work (quantum phase transitions, dualities of particles and vortices) and exotic phases of matter which are topologically ordered with topological excitations (they can be classified via their mutual statistics which involves representation theory, braiding, etc). There are also symmetry protected topological states with are topologically nontrivial only if a certain symmetry is present.

On the very nonconventional side there is also AdS/CMT which requires the prerequisite math knowledge you would need to study GR. However, although these methods are used to study condensed matter problems, most of the people in this field are still coming from a HET background (although there are still a few from the other side).

radium said:
Math books would not be the best place to learn about how these topics can be applied to condensed matter. I would recommend the physics oriented math books by Nakahara and Stone and Goldbart. The way physicists approach math is much different than the way mathematicians do

The reason I'm asking is because I hate learning math on the fly in a physics course. It's taught in a very hand-wavy manner, making it harder to grasp the concept.
I'd much rather learn the required math from a math course (or math textbook), then learn how to apply it in physics.

1. What are the prerequisites for taking a math course in condensed matter theory or quantum optics?

The prerequisites for these types of courses typically include a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some courses may also require knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts such as group theory and complex analysis.

2. How is math used in condensed matter theory and quantum optics?

Math is used extensively in these fields to describe and analyze the behavior of particles and materials at the quantum level. This includes using mathematical models to understand the properties of condensed matter systems and to predict the behavior of particles in quantum optical systems.

3. Are there any specific math courses that would be beneficial for studying condensed matter theory or quantum optics?

Yes, courses in differential geometry, functional analysis, and partial differential equations can be particularly useful for understanding the mathematical concepts used in these fields. Additionally, courses in statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics can also be helpful for understanding the physical principles underlying condensed matter theory and quantum optics.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning the math used in condensed matter theory and quantum optics?

Some popular textbooks for learning the mathematics used in these fields include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Carl M. Bender and Steven A. Orszag, and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber.

5. Can someone with a strong background in math but no prior knowledge of condensed matter theory or quantum optics still take these courses?

Yes, it is possible to take these courses with a strong math background but no prior knowledge of the specific fields. However, it may require additional effort to learn the physical principles and applications of the math concepts used in these courses. It is recommended to consult with the instructor or academic advisor before enrolling to ensure readiness for the course.