Math Education Bachelors -> Masters in Math

In summary, the conversation is discussing the requirements and preparation needed for a math education major to attend graduate school in math. It is suggested that additional courses such as multivariable calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, topology, number theory, and others may need to be taken to catch up and be adequately prepared. It is also mentioned that graduate math programs typically expect applicants to have knowledge in areas such as real analysis, abstract algebra, topology, and others. The conversation also touches on the difference between a pure math degree and an applied math degree. The conversation ends with a recommendation to look at the course lists of reputable universities and to consider reading a book called "All the Mathematics You Missed (But Need to Know For Graduate School)."
1MileCrash
This is for a friend, google is literally turning up nothing for us.

What would it be like to go to graduate school in math after graduating as a math education major? Would it be difficult? Would there be a lot of catching up to do? Should some time be taken off to study things like, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, real analysis, topology, number theory, and other things that math education major is usually not exposed to? They do take the introductory proof course, elementary linear algebra, and calculus 1&2, but the rest of the math classes end with "for high school teachers" (what does that mean?)

Would it be comparable to say, an engineering major getting a masters in math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the undergrad preparation, it could be anywhere from only a minor inconvenience to very difficult. My school's math education program is similar to yours, with education majors taking calc1-2, linear algebra, and abstract algebra, "Geometry", and an introduction to proofs class. Most mathematics graduate programs expect their applicants to have at least 1 but preferably two semesters of Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra, a semester of Complex analysis, a semester of Topology, a good advanced course in linear algebra (not just the one where you compute inverses and determinants), and maybe a class or two in discrete math and also differential geometry. All of these are not required, but all are recommended for a good preparation for graduate mathematics study. I would suggest that your friend take Calculus 3, and at least one semester each of real analysis, abstract algebra, and topology before applying to graduate school in pure mathematics. You may get away with skipping abstract algebra and topology and taking numerical analysis and PDE's instead by going to an applied mathematics masters .

1MileCrash said:
but the rest of the math classes end with "for high school teachers" (what does that mean?)

I expect it means the objective of the course is to teach you how to teach math to kids who aren't interested in it, not how to do math at grad school level.

Look at the course lists for some universities with a good reputation for math. That should answer you question as to what you are expected to have studied.

I know standards have tended to dumb down over time, and are different in different countries, but when I did a math degree things like "calc 1 and 2" were high-school-level courses. We started literally on day one of a 3-year math degree with real analysis, abstract algebra, etc.

I can provide some insights into this question. Pursuing a Masters in Math after graduating with a Math Education Bachelor's degree can be a challenging but rewarding experience. While there may be some catching up to do in terms of mathematical knowledge, it is not necessary to take time off to study additional topics. The courses in a Masters in Math program are designed to build on the foundational knowledge gained in undergraduate studies, so it is not uncommon for students from different backgrounds to come together and learn at the same pace.

In terms of difficulty, it may depend on the individual's background and aptitude for math. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable. The courses in a Masters in Math program are typically more advanced and rigorous, with a focus on theoretical and abstract concepts. This may be different from the more applied approach taken in math education courses.

Regarding the courses ending with "for high school teachers," this means that the content of the course is tailored towards preparing teachers to teach these topics at the high school level. This may include a focus on pedagogy and practical applications of the mathematical concepts.

In comparison to an engineering major pursuing a Masters in Math, there may be some overlap in the foundational math courses, such as calculus and linear algebra. However, the focus and depth of the courses may differ. An engineering major may have a more applied approach to these topics, while a Masters in Math program may have a more theoretical and abstract focus.

Overall, pursuing a Masters in Math after a Math Education Bachelor's degree can be a challenging but rewarding experience. It may require some extra effort and dedication, but it can open up opportunities for further study or careers in fields such as research, data science, or academia. I would recommend speaking to current or former students in a Masters in Math program to get a better understanding of the experience and potential challenges. Best of luck to your friend in their academic pursuits!

What is the difference between a Math Education Bachelor's degree and a Master's in Math?

A Math Education Bachelor's degree focuses on the pedagogy and teaching methods for math, while a Master's in Math delves deeper into the theoretical and applied aspects of mathematics. The latter is more research-oriented and prepares students for careers in academia or other math-related fields.

Can I pursue a Master's in Math with a Bachelor's degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Math with a Bachelor's degree in a different field. However, it may require additional prerequisite courses to ensure a strong foundation in mathematics. It is also recommended to have a strong background in math, such as taking advanced math courses or having relevant work experience.

What careers can I pursue with a Master's in Math?

A Master's in Math can open up various career opportunities, such as becoming a mathematician, data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, or statistician. It can also lead to teaching positions at the college or university level.

Do I need to have a teaching license to pursue a Master's in Math Education?

It depends on the program and the state in which you plan to teach. Some Master's in Math Education programs may require a teaching license, while others may not. It is best to research the specific program and state requirements to determine if a teaching license is needed.

Are there online options for a Master's in Math Education?

Yes, there are online options for a Master's in Math Education. Many universities offer fully online or hybrid programs that allow students to complete coursework and assignments remotely. However, some programs may require in-person components, such as student teaching or research projects, so it is important to research the specific program's requirements before enrolling.