Math for identifying bosonic atoms

• Thread starter itssilva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary: If the number of neutrons is odd, adding the even number of protons will give an odd number of fermions. If the number of neutrons is even, adding the even number of protons will give an even number of fermions.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fermionic and bosonic atoms and how to determine if an atom is a fermion or boson based on its composition of protons, electrons, and neutrons. The rule of thumb is that an atom with an odd number of fermions must obey fermionic statistics. The conversation also touches on the mathematics behind determining spin addition and the relationship between the number of neutrons in the nucleus and whether an atom is a fermion or bos
itssilva
(And fermionic atoms, as well). Knowing the weird statement that rubidium atoms and such are bosons and reading some of the threads, I've convinced myself that it is a perfectly acceptable possibility; however, I'm not so sure if I learned how to point my finger and say atom X is a boson/fermion.
From what I see, the math is something like this: Wikipedia (BEC article) says 7Li is a boson; it has 3 e, 3 p and 4 n, right? All of which are fermions (s=1/2 for e; for p and n as well?). Now, to obtain the total spin of the ground state, divide each 'class' of fermion by 2; the remainder is the number of unpaired fermions in each class (1 e, 1 p, 0 n). This is the ground state, so the unpaired electron oughta be paired up with the proton (semiclassically: two magnets configured like N-S|N-S have less energy than N-S|S-N). End of the day: no leftover unpaired fermions, S=0. Boson. This is the rule of thumb I've adopted so far.
I say 'rule of thumb' because I'm highly suspicious of this method, since I've learned in my QM that spin addition is a quite fastidious procedure (determining Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and whatnot). Is this the correct math?
Also, I've heard in my QFT class (if I understood correctly) that, if you consider an energy scale less than that which would take to break apart a bound state, it 'looks like a fundamental particle' propagating away; is the same principle at work here? I mean, if the first excitation energy of 7Li is 5 eV and first ionization 11 eV (numbers I made up), does it mean that I oughta keep my lithium at energies lesser than 5 eV (in order to avoid spin-flipping) and/or 11 eV (to avoid ionization) to have it work with B-E statistics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Orbital angular momentum is always an integer, so the only way to get a half-integer total angular momentum is to have an odd number of fermions. The rule you have is fine; an atom with an odd number of fermions must obey fermionic statistics.

To answer your second question. First, a spin flip changes the total angular momentum by ##\pm 1##, so if the bound state started as a fermion, it will remain one after the spin flip. Second, the statistics of an ion will be determined by the same rule about odd/even number of fermions. If we remove a single electron from a fermionic atom we will have a bosonic ion and vice versa.

itssilva said:
From what I see, the math is something like this: Wikipedia (BEC article) says 7Li is a boson; it has 3 e, 3 p and 4 n, right? All of which are fermions (s=1/2 for e; for p and n as well?). Now, to obtain the total spin of the ground state, divide each 'class' of fermion by 2; the remainder is the number of unpaired fermions in each class (1 e, 1 p, 0 n). This is the ground state, so the unpaired electron oughta be paired up with the proton (semiclassically: two magnets configured like N-S|N-S have less energy than N-S|S-N). End of the day: no leftover unpaired fermions, S=0. Boson. This is the rule of thumb I've adopted so far.
I say 'rule of thumb' because I'm highly suspicious of this method, since I've learned in my QM that spin addition is a quite fastidious procedure (determining Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and whatnot). Is this the correct math?
You don't have to pair up the spins so that S=0 and normally, this won't be the case. However, the total spin will always be an integer number.
Arguing in terms of Clebsch Gordan coefficients: if s1 and s2 are half integer, so will be the z-components of spin. However, the z-components add up directly, so Sz will be integer. This is only possible if S is integer, too, as S_z ranges from S to -S in steps of 1.

A simple way to tell is by the number of neutrons in the nucleus. If odd it is a fermion, if even it is a boson. This is a result from the obvious fact that the number of protons equals the number of electrons.

1. What is the purpose of using math to identify bosonic atoms?

The purpose of using math to identify bosonic atoms is to gain a better understanding of their properties and behavior. This can help in various fields such as particle physics, quantum mechanics, and material science.

2. How does math play a role in identifying bosonic atoms?

Math is used to describe the behavior of bosonic atoms through various equations and models. These equations can help predict the behavior of bosonic atoms and their interactions with other particles.

3. What are some mathematical methods used to identify bosonic atoms?

Some mathematical methods used to identify bosonic atoms include group theory, differential equations, and matrix algebra. These methods help in understanding the symmetries and energy levels of bosonic atoms.

4. How do scientists use math to study the properties of bosonic atoms?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study the properties of bosonic atoms. These models can help predict the behavior of bosonic atoms in different conditions and environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using math to identify bosonic atoms?

While math is a powerful tool in identifying bosonic atoms, it is not the only factor. Experimental data and observations also play a crucial role in understanding the properties of bosonic atoms. Additionally, the complexity of the mathematical equations and models can also pose limitations in accurately identifying bosonic atoms.