Math History: Cauchy Criterion for Sequence/Series

In summary, the Cauchy criterion for a convergent sequence states that the distance between successive terms becomes smaller and smaller. By finding a number N, the terms after that can be shown to have a distance less than epsilon. However, this statement is not always true, as seen in the example of the series \sum \frac{1}{n}. The correct definition states that the distance between terms, pairwise, must go to 0 for any m and n. The given sequence does converge to zero, therefore satisfying the Cauchy criterion and showing that the series also converges.
Shackleford
I know the Cauchy criterion for a convergent sequence. A Cauchy sequence is one in which the distance between successive terms becomes smaller and smaller. You can find a number N such that the terms after that, pairwise, have a a distance that is less than epsilon.

After looking at an example in the book, I was able to write this down. It would appear that the sequence converges to zero since the numerator is bounded by -1 and 1. It looks like the Cauchy criterion for convergent series is satisfied too since you can make m and n and a function of epsilon. However, I'm not too sure about my work.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/Untitled-1.png

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111116_173313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could just explain what a Cauchy sequence is just by giving the definition, though your description is reasonable.

As for you working can you walk me through what you have done, its not clear in the photo. I find it easier if you type the work in herer, the nI can just cut paste s& edit as required

lanedance said:
You could just explain what a Cauchy sequence is just by giving the definition, though your description is reasonable.

As for you working can you walk me through what you have done, its not clear in the photo. I find it easier if you type the work in herer, the nI can just cut paste s& edit as required

Yeah, when I write up the homework I'll simply put down the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

I wrote down the difference of the sm and sn terms with m > n. If I correctly setup the relation, it seems that the terms are less than (m-n)/2m since the numerator is bounded and the denominator becomes increasingly larger. If that's true, then I assert you can find an arbitrary epsilon by making m, n a function of epsilon.

If m > n, then the terms on the left would be strictly less than (m-n)/2^n, correct? Since making the denominator smaller makes the term bigger, you want the smaller of the two denominators to serve as your upper bound.

kru_ said:
If m > n, then the terms on the left would be strictly less than (m-n)/2^n, correct? Since making the denominator smaller makes the term bigger, you want the smaller of the two denominators to serve as your upper bound.

Right. So I'm thinking this series is convergent.

Actually, I think I have it backwards. I'm changing n > m.

It looks like sn - sm < (n-m)/2m.

So, for an arbitrary epsilon I should be able to find an N such that m,n > N implies the difference is less than epsilon.

Last edited:
Shackleford said:
I know the Cauchy criterion for a convergent sequence. A Cauchy sequence is one in which the distance between successive terms becomes smaller and smaller.
This statement is untrue. For example, the series
[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
has "distance between successive termsj"
[tex]\frac{1}{n}- \frac{1}{n+1}= \frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]
which goes to 0 but is NOT a Cauchy sequence.

You can find a number N such that the terms after that, pairwise, have a a distance that is less than epsilon.
Okay, this is better. The distance between terms, pairwise, is [itex]|a_n- a_m|[/itex] and that must go to 0, for any m and n, not just [itex]|a_{n+1}- a_n|[/itex]

After looking at an example in the book, I was able to write this down. It would appear that the sequence converges to zero since the numerator is bounded by -1 and 1. It looks like the Cauchy criterion for convergent series is satisfied too since you can make m and n and a function of epsilon. However, I'm not too sure about my work.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/Untitled-1.png

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111116_173313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
This statement is untrue. For example, the series
[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/tex]
has "distance between successive termsj"
[tex]\frac{1}{n}- \frac{1}{n+1}= \frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex]
which goes to 0 but is NOT a Cauchy sequence. Okay, this is better. The distance between terms, pairwise, is [itex]|a_n- a_m|[/itex] and that must go to 0, for any m and n, not just [itex]|a_{n+1}- a_n|[/itex]

The book works your example, too. Going by the definition for my problem

[itex]|s_{n}- s_m|[/itex] < (n-m)/2m

Last edited:
The relation in my previous post looks wrong. Using some convergence tests, I'm fairly certainly this series does converge. I found my error. This should be correct.

[itex]|s_{n}- s_m|[/itex] < [1/2n] + [1/2m]

The sequence converges to zero which implies the series converges.

Last edited:

Related to Math History: Cauchy Criterion for Sequence/Series

1. What is the Cauchy Criterion for Sequence/Series?

The Cauchy Criterion is a mathematical concept developed by the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy. It states that a sequence or series of numbers is convergent if and only if for any given positive number, there exists an index after which all the terms of the sequence or series are within that number's distance from each other.

2. When was the Cauchy Criterion first introduced?

The Cauchy Criterion was first introduced by Augustin-Louis Cauchy in his book "Cours d'Analyse" in 1821.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy Criterion?

The Cauchy Criterion is significant because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for the convergence of a sequence or series. This has applications in various fields of mathematics, particularly in analysis and calculus.

4. Can the Cauchy Criterion be used to prove the convergence of all sequences/series?

No, the Cauchy Criterion can only be used to prove the convergence of sequences/series that satisfy the condition of being Cauchy. There are other tests and criteria that can be used to determine the convergence of sequences/series.

5. How is the Cauchy Criterion related to the concept of limits?

The Cauchy Criterion is closely related to the concept of limits. In fact, it can be seen as a more rigorous version of the limit definition. The Cauchy Criterion states that a sequence or series converges if and only if the terms of the sequence or series are getting closer and closer to each other, which is essentially the definition of a limit.