If a series converges with decreasing terms, then na_n -> 0

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if a decreasing sequence of positive numbers converges, then the limit of n times the sequence also converges to 0. However, the initial argument provided is flawed and the participants discuss potential solutions to fix it. A potential solution is referenced and the conversation is referred to a longer discussion on the topic.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##(a_n)## is a decreasing sequence of positive numbers and ##\sum a_n## converges, then ##\lim na_n = 0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\epsilon >0##. By the Cauchy criterion there exists an ##N\in \mathbb{N}## such that ##\forall n\ge m\ge N##, we have that ##|\sum_{k=m+1}^{n}a_k|<\epsilon##. But the sequence is decreasing, so ##|(n-m)a_n|\le |\sum_{k=m+1}^{n}a_k|<\epsilon##. So we have that ##|na_n-ma_n|<\epsilon## for all ##\epsilon>0##. So ##na_n=ma_n## for all ##n\ge m\ge N##. Since the tails of these sequence are the same eventually, they have the same limit. Since ##\sum a_n## converges, we see that ##\lim ma_n = 0##. Hence ##\lim n a_n = 0##.

Physics news on Phys.org
That argument doesn't work. Given ##\epsilon > 0## there exists ##N## such that...
The problem is that the ##N## depends on ##\epsilon##. So the (obviously false) conclusion that ##na_n = ma_n## for all ##n\ge m## doesn't follow. Try again.

LCKurtz said:
That argument doesn't work. Given ##\epsilon > 0## there exists ##N## such that...
The problem is that the ##N## depends on ##\epsilon##. So the (obviously false) conclusion that ##na_n = ma_n## for all ##n\ge m## doesn't follow. Try again.
I guess that conclusion is obviously false when I look at it now... So I have that ##|(n-m)a_n|<\epsilon##. How can I get rid of that ##m## to get my result? Is there something simple that I am overlooking?

1. What does it mean for a series to converge?

A series converges if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you know if a series has decreasing terms?

A series has decreasing terms if each subsequent term is smaller than the previous one. This can be determined by looking at the general form of the terms, such as a_n = 1/n, or by comparing each term to the previous one.

3. What is the significance of a series converging with decreasing terms?

A series converging with decreasing terms suggests that the series is approaching a finite value and will not continue to increase indefinitely. This can be helpful in analyzing and predicting the behavior of the series.

4. How does the limit na_n -> 0 relate to a series converging with decreasing terms?

The limit na_n -> 0 means that as the number of terms increases, the product of the term and its position in the series approaches 0. This is a characteristic of a series with decreasing terms, and it helps to confirm that the series is converging.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that a series with decreasing terms will converge to 0?

Yes, there are some rare cases where a series with decreasing terms may not converge to 0. These exceptions usually involve alternating or oscillating terms, and would require further analysis to determine the behavior of the series.