Math, Neuroscience, Languages? My brain is overwhelmed

In summary, an expert summarizer of this conversation would say that the person is interested in pursuing a career in the medical field and has been studying upper-level math courses on their own. They also are interested in connecting their knowledge of upper level math to cognitive neuroscience - and memory. They realize that they have no knowledge whatsoever on the topic of memory research, but think it would be interesting to see how mathematics could possibly bring a new perspective to the research being done currently. The person has also had an interest in foreign languages, and has spoken Spanish and German up to this point. They want to pursue a career in the medical field, and think that a double neuroscience/math major would show more interest and engagement to a potential med school applicant
Justabeginner
I'm interested in studying mathematics at the undergraduate level, and have been studying some upper-level courses on my own (technically, for the college I hope to go to, I would only have six courses left to complete a math major). I also am interested in connecting my knowledge of upper level math (if I become a major) to cognitive neuroscience - and memory. I realize I have no knowledge whatsoever on the topic, and I know tons of research has been done in this area, but I think it would be interesting to see how mathematics could possibly bring a new perspective to the research being done currently.

And I've also had an interest in foreign languages; I speak five currently. Spanish and German are the ones which I have been doing in high school so far.

I want to pursue a profession in the medical field, and I don't know whether a Double Neuroscience/Langauge major would look really simple, and unmotivated for a prospective med school applicant. I feel as though if I did a Double Neuroscience/Math major, it would look more engaging and interesting for the jury. However, I really want to continue languages, but if I do a Double Neuroscience/Langauge major with a minor in math, the minor in math won't show on my diploma, and it seems like these courses that I'm learning now won't show for anything. I feel as though this hard work in math, which I enjoy so much, won't count towards anything. Because med schools will only see my majors.

Sorry for the essay. Thanks for all the input.

EDIT: To show interest, it is not necessary to record an interest as a major/minor right? I was hoping to do a Math/Langauge Major, and also get in touch with a friend who works at a neuroscience lab and look into doing research there. However, I don't see how, if I want to pursue say, German as a major - it would not be useful in the United States as a physician.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.dyns.ucsb.edu/ this is a program at UCSB that integrates math, computer science, electrical engineering with neuroscience. I am sure there is a field there that can integrate languages as well ( ie natural language processing)

The stereotype for double major is "someone with broad interests who is willing to do extra work". The stereotype for triple major is "flake who can't make up his mind". Like many stereotypes, it is not completely made up from whole cloth. And whether or not "pre-med" is an official major at your school, it's a major's worth of work.

Double degree is not worth your time, in terms of time invested vs career benefits. Use your spare time doing undergraduate research instead. Even better if you can published in a peer-reviewed paper.

Research experience is gold. It's far more valuable than a double degree.

Thanks for the replies all!
I've decided to do a Neuroscience major, but I intend to use my knowledge in upper-level math to find research opportunities in computational neuro.

What is the connection between math and neuroscience?

The field of computational neuroscience studies the brain using mathematical models and techniques. This allows scientists to better understand the complex functions and processes of the brain, including perception, learning, and memory.

How does language affect the brain?

Language is a fundamental aspect of human cognition and has a significant impact on the brain. The ability to process and understand language involves multiple regions and networks in the brain, including the frontal and temporal lobes.

What is the importance of studying math in relation to neuroscience?

Math is a crucial tool in neuroscience research as it allows scientists to quantitatively analyze and interpret data from brain imaging techniques. Without math, it would be challenging to make precise and accurate conclusions about brain structure and function.

Can learning a new language improve brain function?

Research has shown that learning a new language can have positive effects on brain function, including improved memory, attention, and problem-solving skills. Bilingualism has also been linked to a delay in the onset of dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

What can I do to prevent feeling overwhelmed by studying math, neuroscience, and languages?

One helpful strategy is to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to find a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or professor if needed. Additionally, practicing good self-care habits such as getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising can also aid in managing stress and feeling overwhelmed.