Math of charts derrived from projectile motion equations

In summary, the conversation is about the creation of graphs of projectile motion using various equations and initial conditions. The resulting charts show parabolic trajectories for different angles and a chart that only plots the vertices of these trajectories. The conversation also discusses the possibility of deriving an equation for the curve above the area of the chart and the shape of the graph when the angles are extended to 180 degrees. The conclusion is that the extended chart appears to show an ellipse and the equation for the vertices is x=Csin(2θ) and y=Csin^2(θ).
ScientificMind
Recently I was playing around with the idea of graphs of projectile motion and I started wondering what it would look like if someone were to graph every parabolic trajectory of a single initial velocity over all angles between o and 90 degrees above the horizontal. I decided to find out so in excel, I used the equation y=tanθ⋅x−x2⋅g/(2⋅vi2⋅cos2θ), with an initial velocity of 6, a gravitational acceleration of 9.8, and 180 different angles, all between 0 and 90 degrees. The resulting chart this:
upload_2018-12-4_18-50-57.png

What I want to know is if it is possible to derive an equation for the curve above the area that this chart is approximating, partly out of curiosity about the equation itself and partly out of curiosity about whether it would be possible to then integrate that equation to find out the area of under that curve. I am also wondering if that shape has a name.

In addition, while playing around with this idea, I also made this chart:
upload_2018-12-4_18-51-14.png

which graphs only the vertices of 360 versions of the above equation. Each vertex was obtained using x=(vi2⋅sin(2θ))/(2⋅g) and y=(vi2⋅sin2θ)/(2⋅g). Like with the other chart, I'm wondering if it is possible to derive an equation for the graph that this chart is approximating.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_18-50-57.png
    upload_2018-12-4_18-50-57.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 598
  • upload_2018-12-4_18-51-14.png
    upload_2018-12-4_18-51-14.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 805
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The envelope is a parabola on its own, example 5 at the Wikipedia page is the free fall you studied.

mfb said:
The envelope is a parabola on its own, example 5 at the Wikipedia page is the free fall you studied.

Thanks a bunch! I didn’t know that was called an envelope before so it’s really nice to have a name for that kind of thing, and the Wikipedia page looks pretty interesting. Still, from what I can tell, it seems like the second chart, derived from only plotting the vertices of the various parabolas, wouldn’t count as an envelope. Do you know anything about that?

Quick update: I decided to extend the chart that only graphs the vertices of the parabolas to include the vertices from equations using equations with angles between 0 and 180 degrees instead of just up to 90 degrees, and this is the result:
upload_2018-12-5_16-54-27.png

It looks like an ellipse. Does anyone know why it looks like an ellipse and whether it is an actual ellipse or not?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-5_16-54-27.png
    upload_2018-12-5_16-54-27.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 441
ScientificMind said:
Each vertex was obtained using x=(vi2⋅sin(2θ))/(2⋅g) and y=(vi2⋅sin2θ)/(2⋅g).
Define ##C=\frac{v_i^2}{2}##, then ##x=C\sin(2\theta)## and ##y=C\sin^2(\theta)##.
Now calculate ##x^2 + \left(y-\frac{C}{2}\right)^2## and interpret the result.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity. This type of motion can be seen when objects are thrown, launched, or dropped.

How are projectile motion equations used in charting?

Projectile motion equations can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given point in time. These values can then be plotted on a chart to visually represent the motion of the object.

What are the key equations used in charting projectile motion?

The key equations used in charting projectile motion are the equations of motion (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, v = v0 + at, and v^2 = v0^2 + 2a∆x) and the kinematic equations (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, v = v0 + at, and v^2 = v0^2 + 2a∆x).

What is the significance of the maximum height and range in projectile motion charts?

The maximum height and range are important values to consider when analyzing projectile motion charts. The maximum height indicates the highest point reached by the object, while the range represents the horizontal distance traveled. These values can provide insight into the trajectory and overall motion of the object.

How can projectile motion charts be used in real-world applications?

Projectile motion charts can be used in various real-world applications such as in sports, engineering, and physics. They can be used to predict the trajectory and landing point of a thrown ball, calculate the optimal angle for launching a rocket, or analyze the motion of a projectile in a ballistic missile system.