Math software - any recommendation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for mathematics software and the affordability of commercial programs such as Mathematica and Mathlab. The option of using open-source software like Octave and Scilab is also mentioned, but it is noted that they may not be fully compatible with commercial programs. The conversation also touches on using other programs like C, C++, and Fortran, but it is mentioned that it would be inefficient and not recommended. The recommendation to use Mathematica 7 Home Edition is given as it is more affordable and equivalent to the pro version.
Sword7
Hello folks,

I was shopping for some mathematics software like Mathematica and Mathlab, etc..? However, they are too expnesive for me (hobbyist use). However, they only offer Mathematica 7 Home Edition for affordable price. I was looking for some open-source software and found a few software like Octave, Scilab, etc. I now have some questions about OSS and commerical softwares for you.

Are OSS software like Scilab and Octave fully compatible with Mathlad/Simulink/Mathematica for Linux/Windows/Mac platforms? I have some astrodynamic/aerodynamic books provides some programs for Mathlab, etc and will they work on one of Octave/Scilab software?

Thanks!
Sword7

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Matlab programs sort of work in Octave, but many troubles can occur. You may need to tweek them.

I have not seen any good Maple/Mathematica/Matlab/etc. FOSS replacements. Octave, Maxima, and Scilab are 'somewhat' compatible; most complicated programs will need to be tweaked or rewritten. They're certainly less polished than their expensive cousins.

Depending on what you're doing, you may be able to use other programs. GAP (group theory) and Pari/GP (number theory) are at least as good, if not better, than the expensive programs within their respective fields.

With a little bit of extra work, you can just use straight C, C++, Fortran, etc. And that's free, and you can probably find code (or make it yourself) to do whatever you want.

csprof2000 said:
With a little bit of extra work, you can just use straight C, C++, Fortran, etc. And that's free, and you can probably find code (or make it yourself) to do whatever you want.

That would be ridiculously inefficient. At best one would be spending one hundred times as long, and that assumes one already has knowledge of programming and computer methods needed for the task. That is like telling someone who wants to buy a car that it would be better to build one with the spare parts in their garage. :>

csprof2000 said:

You don't want to do this. :yuck:

I wasn't suggesting he write it from scratch, I was suggesting he find open-source code that has already been written and tweak it to suit his needs.

I don't know... perhaps there aren't any good open source mathematics package projects. But it's something to look into. That's all I was suggesting.

You said Mathematica 7 home is affordable, so I highly recommend that.

Note that the home version is technically equivalent to the pro version, the only difference being the licensing (the home version must be used for non-commercial purposes).

1. What is the best math software for beginners?

The best math software for beginners depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user. Some popular options include MatLab, Wolfram Mathematica, and GeoGebra. These programs have user-friendly interfaces and offer a wide range of features for beginners to explore and learn from.

2. Is there any free math software available?

Yes, there are several free math software options available, such as GeoGebra, Desmos, and Octave. These programs offer basic math functions and are suitable for students and beginners. However, they may not have as many advanced features as paid software.

3. Can math software be used for higher-level math courses?

Yes, many math software programs have advanced features that can be used for higher-level math courses. For example, MatLab and Wolfram Mathematica are often used in college-level courses for complex calculations and data analysis.

4. Are there any math software programs specifically for statistics?

Yes, there are several math software programs that specialize in statistics, such as Minitab, SPSS, and R. These programs offer advanced statistical analysis tools and are commonly used in research and data analysis.

5. Can math software be used in other fields besides math?

Yes, math software can be used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and more. Many programs have features that allow for data analysis, modeling, and simulations, making them useful in a wide range of industries.