Which software to draw math/physics figure?

In summary, drawing figures can be done with various software, but AutoCAD is a more complicated and time-consuming option.
bobfei
Hi,

I would like to ask a question on figure drawing.

When communicating math/physics idea with other people, it is inevitable that formulas and figures are needed. For formulas we have TEX or Mathtype, but for drawing figures, is there very convenient tools that could quickly give expressive and faithful result?

Things I could think of are:

AutoCAD
great for mechanical drawing, but is a giant application and too complicated in many situations​
VISIO
handy, but the drawing is not precise in dimensions​
Matlab & Mathematica
only suitable for drawing functions, meshes, etc.​
MS Paint
... most simple, but not competent​
Photoshop
suitable only for artistic rendering, not good for expressing abstract ideas or intuitive visualizations in math/physics​

So this kind of eliminates all these mainstream software, and none is ideally suitable. My question is how does people in
1. This forum
2. Academia
3. Academic press industry
Draw images? For large companies I believe they can use draftsman, but for individuals, they might not be able to afford, and it is not convenient at all especially for informal discussions.

So how do you draw figures in
1. homework
2. academic paper
3. online/email discussion
?

I occasionally uses MIT OCW, and some of the drawings on their PDF Slides are pretty good. Does anyone know how they were drawn?

Appreciate any response,
Bob

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed vector graphics programs like http://www.inkscape.org/" . I've used them for diagrams and drawings in both papers and lecture notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Adobe Illustrator. google sketchup might be another option, but I haven't had a chance to use it.

Simon_Tyler said:
You missed vector graphics programs like http://www.inkscape.org/" . I've used them for diagrams and drawings in both papers and lecture notes.

Dear Simon,

Compare with Adobe Illustrator / Macromedia freehand, which are is more convenient?

Bob

I use corel draw and google sketchup, but what I think is that any package is ok if you get to know it and its limitations well.

pongo38 said:
I use corel draw and google sketchup, but what I think is that any package is ok if you get to know it and its limitations well.

Is corel draw a complicated software?

In particular, is it huge in size? And is it fast (fast like Google chrome, etc.) ? I tried to use AutoCAD to do some drawing, but its slow startup time and memory space consumption made it unfavorable for frequently use.

Bob

Hi, bobfei

I assume you work on windows and I would recommend this tiny pkg called TpX, the link is as follows
http://tpx.sourceforge.net

Dear Jonsoncao,

I looked at the http://tpx.sourceforge.net/sample_img.htm" and it looked amazing. Is this software easy to use?

And is it capable of drawing MATLAB class figures?

Bob

It is relatively easy to use comparing with AutoCAD IMHO, since the GUI is similar to MS paint, but it can't draw a function curve like MATLAB does, you have to import data from other files. I use TpX mostly for casual purposes. For academic paper writing, I draw figures using a LaTeX pkg called TikZ/PGF, it is powerful and free, but the learning curve is kinda steep...

here are some example drawings: http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples

Dear Jonsoncao,

I will try them, thanks for the answer.

Bob

1. What software is best for creating mathematical and physics figures?

There are several software programs that can be used to create mathematical and physics figures, such as Adobe Illustrator, MATLAB, and GeoGebra. The best software for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

2. Is there a free software option for creating mathematical and physics figures?

Yes, there are several free software options that can be used to create mathematical and physics figures, such as Inkscape, Desmos, and GeoGebra. These programs may have fewer features compared to paid software, but they can still produce high-quality figures.

3. Which software is best for creating 3D figures?

If you need to create 3D figures for your mathematical or physics work, software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Blender may be your best options. These programs have advanced 3D capabilities and can produce professional-looking figures.

4. Can I use Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to create mathematical and physics figures?

While Microsoft Word and PowerPoint have some basic drawing tools, they may not be the best options for creating complex mathematical and physics figures. These programs are better suited for text-based documents and presentations.

5. Are there any online tools for creating mathematical and physics figures?

Yes, there are several online tools that can be used to create mathematical and physics figures, such as GeoGebra, Desmos, and Graph.tk. These tools are convenient and can be accessed from any device with internet access, but they may have limited features compared to desktop software.