Math texts that make you fall in love all over again

• Algebra
  • Thread starter ibkev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Love
  • Featured
In summary, math texts that make you fall in love all over again are written with a clear and engaging style that brings the beauty and complexity of mathematics to life. These texts use relatable examples and real-world applications to make the subject more approachable and enjoyable. They also provide a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and their relevance to our daily lives, reigniting a passion for the subject and inspiring a love for learning. With their captivating prose and insightful explanations, these math texts have the power to make readers fall in love with math all over again.
ibkev
I often see textbook recommendations here that about rigour and depth of coverage. Serious books for serious people!

This question is different. I'm looking textbooks that inspire a love for mathematics. And I want to come at it from two different angles:

(1) is there a textbook that was so good, led to such beautiful insights that it was almost a religious experience and cemented your decision to be a student of mathematics?

(2) What textbooks would you recommend a casual, self-studying, student of math, that keeps them motivated and inspired to keep moving forward? Assumptions:
  • student has a day job and only so much time to devote
  • ideal texts have a big payoff/effort ratio (possibly sacrificing some depth in the process)
  • inspires love and interest in the subject
  • not discouraging, in the sense of a punishing difficulty level (we all know texts that are viewed as a right of passage!)
The form forced me to choose a prefix but please feel free to respond about any math topic/level you like!

A friend recommended this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198534469/?tag=pfamazon01-20
He said it is full of diagrams and graphs and is incredibly clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes S.G. Janssens, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I think loving or getting inspired by maths or its application is an intellectual exercise, which involves only thinking. it is not like listening to music and dancing and watching things. Those are experiences which consume time and you experience pleasure of a different kind which does not involve much thinking. Thinking involves time so the raw material for extracting pleasure out of maths and its application is in the first instance TIME only. Time and willingness to think are the two essential internal inputs the external inputs such as discussion and books can just help!

Likes tuxscholar, mastrofoffi and ibkev
What is mathematics? richard courant ---> difficult book to follow for me personally but an excellent holistic introduction to mathematics fundamentals.

Book of proof. really rigourous and good intro to basic foundations of maths. FREE HEREhttp://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

Elias zakon lecture notes ---> can be found free online, legally.

Discrete mathematics by Norman biggs (I ordered the Indian economy edition on amazon much cheaper).
link for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198507178/?tag=pfamazon01-20

how to think about analysis
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198723539/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes ibkev and smodak
I am relatively new to mathematics (I only discovered a passion for it at 23), but two books that did it for me were:

Mathematics and the Physical World - Morris Kline

A First Course in Calculus - Serge Lang

I'm sure as I learn more I'll have more books to add.

Likes ibkev
This one is not pure Mathematics but still a book full of inspiration:

"Gravity: an introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James B. Hartle

Likes Swapnil Das, smodak, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Bipolar Demon said:
What is mathematics? richard courant ---> difficult book to follow for me personally but an excellent holistic introduction to mathematics fundamentals.

Book of proof. really rigourous and good intro to basic foundations of maths. FREE HEREhttp://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

Discrete mathematics by Norman biggs (I ordered the Indian economy edition on amazon much cheaper).

Principles of mathematics by allendoerfer and oakley.

Logic for dummies by mark z. (good book)

free legal link to zakons book : http://www.trillia.com/zakon1.html

Let'sthink said:
I=s such as discussion and books can just help!

hello, I would say the authors guide your thinking, when you learn from the best you get a completely different and refreshing viewpoint. :) ...and one day, maybe, you can become like them :P but reading the books is not enough, you must DO the exercises too..but without a good guide to the subject it is difficult for the less motivated people like me to study..I think this is what the op meant, there are a lot of garbage texts out there too.

Last edited:
Likes ibkev and S.G. Janssens
Gross & Miller, mathematics a human endeavour.

Intro level text: it explained to me why high school math is true. I just kept saying as I read it...aaaah that's why.

Likes ibkev
Bipolar Demon said:
hello, I would say the authors guide your thinking, when you learn from the best you get a completely different and refreshing viewpoint. :) ...and one day, maybe, you can become like them :P but reading the books is not enough, you must DO the exercises too..but without a good guide to the subject it is difficult for the less motivated people like me to study..I think this is what the op meant, there are a lot of garbage texts out there too.
Yes, I agree. High quality books have been essential for me since university, as I have always found it difficult to follow lectures or other forms of oral presentation. (I was and am quite motivated, but lectures often go too quickly for me and sometimes skip important details.)

I am still thinking about what I will reply to the OP.

Likes Frimus and Logical Dog
Krylov said:
Yes, I agree. High quality books have been essential for me since university, as I have always found it difficult to follow lectures or other forms of oral presentation. (I was and am quite motivated, but lectures often go too quickly for me and sometimes skip important details.)

I am still thinking about what I will reply to the OP.

Not only will some lectures skip important details, but they will often not provide questions and insight like the real authors do that give you the most valuable insights into mathematical objects and mathematics in general because they don't have the time or motivation, or this type of thinking is useless for your course anyway, one must really do a lot of self learning if he wants to get under the "hood" of this subject and/or explore its philosophy. It has been a few months for me since this I found this desire, I am a bottom feeder in mathematics, hundreds or thousands of years behind the boundary of this body of knowledge, but I want to get better and maybe even do a degree, that's why I know these books. :)

Luckily I have a good lecturer who knows a lot about the subject :). If someone is really into math they should get a maths degree! One should not expect to be taught in this manner in a bachelor in engineering or other applied math heavy subjects. Same goes for physics, if you want to deal with high level physics, do physics instead and not a bachelor in other subjects.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
Yeah but if you want a job do applied mathematics.

houlahound said:
Yeah but if you want a job do applied mathematics.

Err...?

To the OP, maybe you can give us a bit of background as to where you're actually at in terms of mathematics?

Just a light hearted jab. My lecturers always used to make jabs where the pure science and math guys boast how smart they are and cite their papers in prestigious journals. The engineers and applied guys would cite their pay packets.

Me personally I did honours level undergraduate (4 years degree) in physics then got a job in coal as a wire logger (underground gamma spectroscopy) and nondestructive testing. The math was basic that any decent high schooler could do it. The company made millions tho and created hundreds of jobs.

Last edited:
My vote for a book in category (2) would be "Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics" by John Derbyshire
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D39PGU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I loved it - it's aimed at a more general audience but it does a heroic job of explaining the Riemann hypothesis, its significance, and progress towards a proof (or otherwise) up to about 2003. It's a mix of maths and history and roughly speaking the chapters alternate between the two.

It's not really a textbook, sorry, but it is inspiring :smile:

Likes Swapnil Das and ibkev
At elementary level George Gammow's "One, two, three, ... infinity" is also awe-inspiring! The idea of one to one correspondence makes impossible looking propositions become possible and proveable like the number of points on two unequal line segments are equal. When infinity is there anything is possible!

Likes Swapnil Das and ibkev
I love the books of Tony Zee, but that's theoretical physics. Inspiring, funny, witty, with historical sidemarks and topics you don't find in other books.

Likes ibkev
The book that convinced me I was capable of pursuing mathematics (physics) further, was "Calculus Made Easy" - Martin Gardner.

It isn't the best or my favourite book, but it is partly responsible for getting me this far, so it has a special place for me :)

Likes ibkev
Another one, I liked very much when I read it the first time is Weyl's "Raum, Zeit, Materie" (Space, Time, Matter), although the mathematicians of his time ahorred it. There is the famous story that Heisenberg went to the famous mathematics professor Lindemann in Munich (who proved that ##\pi## is transcendent) asking about the prospects of studying math. When he mentioned that he had read Weyl's book, Lindemann told him: "You are lost for mathematics." ;-).

Likes Demystifier, ibkev, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
ibkev said:
(1) is there a textbook that was so good, led to such beautiful insights that it was almost a religious experience and cemented your decision to be a student of mathematics?
I think this is an interesting thread. Various books that I have encountered during my studies may fit your description, although my experiences were not exactly religious. Most influential was probably One-Parameter Semigroups for Linear Evolution Equations by Engel and Nagel. I never since gained more insight into the topic by reading a single book. (Please do not let the "linear" deceive you. Numerous nonlinear problems can be attacked by perturbing linear problems and, besides, linear problems are of great interest in their own right.) This book should be required reading for anyone who routinely "exponentiates" differential operators using ordinary power series.

More recently, I started reading C.D. Meyer's Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. It reinforced my long-standing love for the subject and taught me that new things can be learned about material that I believed I already knew inside-out. It also demonstrated that teaching LA could be fun instead of a punishment.

ibkev said:
(2) What textbooks would you recommend a casual, self-studying, student of math, that keeps them motivated and inspired to keep moving forward? Assumptions:
  • student has a day job and only so much time to devote
  • ideal texts have a big payoff/effort ratio (possibly sacrificing some depth in the process)
  • inspires love and interest in the subject
  • not discouraging, in the sense of a punishing difficulty level (we all know texts that are viewed as a right of passage!)
It depends a lot on the level and interest, of course. Meyer's book is a good option for a second course on linear algebra, or for a first course at a somewhat higher-than-usual level. In particular, it is suitable for self-study because it comes with a solution booklet by default.

Last edited:
Likes ibkev and Logical Dog
For (2): I'm currently reading Strang's Calculus (free at MIT OCW https://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/) and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm reading mostly on my own, though I have an exam to take. Gives me the feeling of having a friendly and excellent professor explaining the subject to me. Perfect for where I am at, but might be considered too wordy by some.

Likes ibkev and Logical Dog
Let'sthink said:
I think loving or getting inspired by maths or its application is an intellectual exercise, which involves only thinking. it is not like listening to music and dancing and watching things. Those are experiences which consume time and you experience pleasure of a different kind which does not involve much thinking. Thinking involves time so the raw material for extracting pleasure out of maths and its application is in the first instance TIME only. Time and willingness to think are the two essential internal inputs the external inputs such as discussion and books can just help!
In thinking about this I came upon the realization, which is hypothetical nature only, that neurons like making new synaptic connections and enhancing neural networks. That is to say, all cells within our body function best when they are doing what they're designed to do (e.g. muscles and bones get stronger when lifting heavy loads). Since neurons make synaptic connections, learning new things should be pleasurable. I know I enjoy learning new things and would love to know if dopamine is released in the process.

Likes tuxscholar
Try "Mathematical methods of classical mechanics," "Ordinary differential equations" and "Partial differential equations" by V.I. Arnold. "Analysis by its history" by Hairer and Wanner is very nice too. Enjoy :-)

Likes poseidon721 and ibkev
Likes ibkev, jedishrfu and Demystifier
Bipolar Demon said:

well it is easy mathematics is a study of quantities represented in form of numerals.
numerals-symbols used to represent numbers.

math text that make us fall in love all over again is physics,chemistry problem solving books helps make us fall in love in maths.
as physics,chemistry are a part of science and laws of nature are written in language of maths .

science needs proof of theory written upon particular phenomenon maths makes that proof

sukalp said:
well it is easy mathematics is a study of quantities represented in form of numerals.
numerals-symbols used to represent numbers.

teach me your ways sensei :eek::biggrin:

Bipolar Demon said:
teach me your ways sensei :eek::biggrin:
okay so sensi is
step 1-Break concepts part by part
step 2-Skim the first half concepts
step 3-Then understand the half concepts ,underline notes,think in form of pictures,do lovingly
step 4-Then next do review
step 5-follow step 1,2,3,4 for 2nd half concepts
step 6-review the chapter Revise again and again ,take practical examples,give test ,join quiz,join forums
solve sample papers
done

Likes Logical Dog