MathCAD error matrix has wrong units?

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the user is having trouble with a calculation in MathCAD and is getting an error message regarding multiple units. They have checked for typos and inconsistencies in units but are still unable to solve the problem. They are considering reaching out to technical support and are unsure if the thread can be deleted.
markus.sparti

Homework Statement

***I Figured out my problem*** If you know how I can delete this thread though, let me know :)

I am attempting to run a calculation in MathCAD but I am having trouble. I am getting an error message stating that a value has multiple units when it should be unitless, but I am unable to figure out where it is getting these other units from.

I have included an image of the problem:

Homework Equations

Capture3.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture1.jpg

the 'given' category is shown twice but it only appears once in the program, just an image error

The Attempt at a Solution

changing the 'R' to 'r' makes it become an undefined variable. I don't see where else the problem could be. Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your calculation in MathCAD. I understand the frustration of encountering errors and not being able to figure out the source.

Firstly, I would suggest checking the units of all the variables involved in your calculation. Make sure that they are consistent and match the units required by the equations you are using. It is possible that there is a unit mismatch causing the error.

Additionally, I would recommend double-checking the syntax of your equations. Sometimes a small typo can cause unexpected errors.

If you are still unable to identify the source of the error, I suggest reaching out to the technical support team for MathCAD. They may be able to provide more specific troubleshooting steps for your particular issue.

As for deleting the thread, I am not sure if that is possible. Perhaps you can edit the title of the thread to indicate that you have solved the problem, so other users can benefit from your solution.

Best of luck with your calculation!

1. Why am I getting a "MathCAD error matrix has wrong units" message?

This error message is typically displayed when you are trying to perform a mathematical operation on a matrix that has incorrect or incompatible units. MathCAD is a program that is designed to work with units, so it is important to make sure that all of the units in your matrix are consistent.

2. How can I fix a "MathCAD error matrix has wrong units" message?

To fix this error, you will need to check the units of each element in your matrix and make sure that they are all consistent. If you are using different units in your matrix, you can use the unit conversion feature in MathCAD to convert them to a common unit.

3. Can I use different units in a single matrix in MathCAD?

Yes, it is possible to use different units in a single matrix in MathCAD. However, you will need to make sure that all of the units are compatible and can be converted to a common unit. Otherwise, you may encounter the "MathCAD error matrix has wrong units" message.

4. How do I know which units are compatible in MathCAD?

MathCAD has a built-in unit conversion feature that allows you to convert between different units. When using this feature, you can select the units you want to convert from and to, and MathCAD will show you the conversion factor. This can help you determine which units are compatible and can be used in a single matrix.

5. Can I turn off the "MathCAD error matrix has wrong units" message?

No, you cannot turn off this error message as it is an important feature of MathCAD that ensures the accuracy of your calculations. Instead, it is recommended to fix any incorrect or incompatible units in your matrix to avoid encountering this error in the future.