How to Solve for Two Variables in Mathcad?

You have not done that, so Mathcad has no way to solve for the variables. Make sure you provide an initial value for each variable you want to solve for.In summary, the speaker is struggling with solving for two variables in Mathcad and has included screen dumps to demonstrate the issue. They have tried using the Given/Find block in two different ways, but have not provided initial values for the variables they want to solve for.
fonz
I'm having trouble solving for two variables in Mathcad. I'm relatively inexperienced with this software and I'm not sure whether it's the software or my math but anyway I've included screen dumps to highlight the problem. I have tried the Given/Find block in two different ways. The first does not give me an answer as you might notice and the second just crashes every time I try to evaluate 'ans'

http://www.kalleload.net/uploads/thumbnails/qypdfcpclaug.png
click to enlarge

http://www.kalleload.net/uploads/thumbnails/lpcpnv_nhbvbyflrfta.png
click to enlarge

Physics news on Phys.org
fonz said:
I'm having trouble solving for two variables in Mathcad. I'm relatively inexperienced with this software and I'm not sure whether it's the software or my math but anyway I've included screen dumps to highlight the problem. I have tried the Given/Find block in two different ways. The first does not give me an answer as you might notice and the second just crashes every time I try to evaluate 'ans'

I've only looked at the first image. You need to provide "guess" values for the variables you wish to find in a solve block.

Attachments

• phys - 12 05 28  solve block 01.jpg
    phys - 12 05 28 solve block 01.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 754

1. How do I use Mathcad Solve Block to solve a mathematical problem?

To use the Mathcad Solve Block, you must first define the variables and equations in your problem. Then, place the Solve Block in your worksheet and enter the equations and variables into the appropriate fields. Finally, click "Solve" to obtain the solution.

2. Can Mathcad Solve Block handle complex mathematical problems?

Yes, Mathcad Solve Block can handle complex mathematical problems involving multiple equations and variables. However, for very complex problems, it may take longer to compute the solution.

3. What happens if Mathcad Solve Block cannot find a solution?

If Mathcad Solve Block cannot find a solution, it will display an error message indicating that the problem is unable to be solved. This could be due to incorrect input or a problem with the equations themselves.

4. Is there a limit to the number of equations and variables that can be entered into Mathcad Solve Block?

There is no specific limit to the number of equations and variables that can be entered into Mathcad Solve Block. However, as the number of equations and variables increases, the computation time may also increase.

5. Can I use Mathcad Solve Block to solve differential equations?

Yes, Mathcad Solve Block can solve differential equations. You will need to define the differential equations using the derivative function and then enter them into the Solve Block along with the initial conditions.