Method of Characteristics for Solving Partial Differential Equations

• Thread starter Sturk200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation using the method of characteristics, specifically on page 9 of a handout. The person is struggling with solving the z equation and is unsure of a step in the solution provided. They are asking for clarification on how the given answer was obtained.
Sturk200

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the following equation using the method of characteristics:

∂u/∂x + (xy)(∂u/∂y) + 2x2zLog[y](∂u/∂z) = 0

I'm really just trying to follow along the solution provided here:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahhwi/LTCC/sectionA-firstorder.pdf

on page 9.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that we have to parameterize the dependent variables so x=x(r), y=y(r), z=z(r). Then demand that du/dr=0, from which we get a system of three autonomous equations:

dx/dr = 1; dy/dr = xy; dz/dr = 2x2Log[y].

Then we have to solve these to get the form of u. My trouble is with solving the z equation. According to the handout I linked to above the right hand side of the dz/dr equation becomes:

2x2zLog[y] = -r4zLog[y0], where r=x and y=y0Exp[r^2/2] (these expressions for x and y come from solving the other two equations).

I don't understand how we can make this step. When I plug in for y and x to the left side of the above I come up with y=2zr^2Log[y0] + r^4/2 ...

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get the answer given in the handout?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sturk200 said:
I come up with y=2zr2Log[y0] + r4/2...
I don't see how you get that. Please post your working.

What is the Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics is a mathematical technique used to find solutions to partial differential equations. It involves transforming the partial differential equation into a system of ordinary differential equations, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

How does the Method of Characteristics work?

The Method of Characteristics works by first identifying characteristic curves or lines in the solution domain. These curves are then used to transform the partial differential equation into a system of ordinary differential equations. By solving this system, the solution to the original partial differential equation can be obtained.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Characteristics?

One advantage of the Method of Characteristics is that it can be used to solve a wide range of partial differential equations, including nonlinear equations. It also allows for the incorporation of initial and boundary conditions, making it a versatile and powerful tool for solving complex problems.

What types of problems can the Method of Characteristics be applied to?

The Method of Characteristics can be applied to a variety of problems, including heat transfer, fluid flow, and wave propagation. It is particularly useful for problems involving time-dependent systems.

What are some limitations of the Method of Characteristics?

One limitation of the Method of Characteristics is that it can only be applied to problems with smooth and continuous solutions. It also requires knowledge of the characteristic curves, which can be difficult to determine in some cases. Additionally, the method may not always yield an explicit solution, and numerical methods may be needed to obtain an accurate solution.