Mathematica 7 vs. 6: A Comparison of Computation and Image Processing Features

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Newspeak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, The conversation is about using Mathematica for computations and simulations, and whether it is worth purchasing version 7.0 or sticking with version 6.0. It is mentioned that version 7 incorporates image processing features and potentially has improvements in computation and simulation speed with multicore processor support. There is also a question about other ways to use Mathematica.
Newspeak
I use Mathematica for computations and simulations-- and making pretty pictures. So is it worth it to purchase Mathematica 7.0? Or should I stick with 6.0? From what I have seen and heard, Mathematica 7 incorporates a lot of image processing features that are pretty neat. How about computation and simulations? Are there any noticeable differences between 6 and 7?--new features?
Any input appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how well Mathematica 6 supported multicore processors. From what I hear some computations\simulations can go like 50x faster with the new multicore support.

Newspeak said:
I use Mathematica for computations and simulations

Is there any other way to use it?

Related to Mathematica 7 vs. 6: A Comparison of Computation and Image Processing Features

1. What are the new features in Mathematica 7 compared to version 6?

Some of the new features in Mathematica 7 include improved parallel computing capabilities, enhanced image processing functions, new built-in data structures, and expanded support for external languages and data formats.

2. How does the performance of Mathematica 7 compare to version 6?

Mathematica 7 has significantly improved performance compared to version 6, especially in terms of speed and memory usage for complex computations and image processing tasks.

3. Can Mathematica 7 handle larger datasets compared to version 6?

Yes, Mathematica 7 has improved memory management and can handle larger datasets compared to version 6, making it more suitable for big data analysis and processing.

4. Is there a difference in the user interface between Mathematica 7 and version 6?

Yes, Mathematica 7 has a redesigned user interface with a more modern look and feel, as well as improved organization and navigation of menus and functions.

5. Are there any compatibility issues between Mathematica 7 and version 6?

While most code written in Mathematica 6 should run without issues in version 7, there may be some compatibility issues with specific functions or packages. It is recommended to check the documentation for any changes or updates before upgrading to version 7.