Mathematica doesn't recognize USB mic (Raspberry Pi / Linux)

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Raspberry Pi / Linux...

My USB mic shows up in the PulseAudio volume control, and also works OK with Audacity and arecord.

However, it doesn't show up in Wolfram Mathematica -- $AudioInputDevices returns a null list.

Anything I can do to get the mic working in Mathematica?

Technology news on Phys.org
I had some issues with lapel mics on Raspberry PI Linux. The problem was due to the mics having the same USB address with no way to change them. The company didn't think someone might want to do stereo recording with their lapel mics.

In our case, we switched to another mic manufacturer. Our project was to make a headset for hearing impaired speakers who could pick out an audience member asking a question by simply looking in their direction and the two mics acted as directional mics beamforming the audio where you pointed your head.

Likes Swamp Thing
I forgot to add that we beamformed in the PI, and the one noticeable flaw was the time it took to reach your ears. It was enough to make it sound like an echo.

You'd hear the person speaking and then the beamformed audio stream of them speaking slightly behind them. This was due to the speed at which the PI could process the mic input, add them together, and then push the result to the headset.

Is it hard to get a good beam shape over an acceptable range of audio frequencies?

And re my original question, my use case works ok if I run a shell command from Wolfram, where I run "arecord". Then Mathematica can open the recorded file and get to the audio samples. But I will keep looking for a more elegant way.

1. Why doesn't Mathematica recognize my USB microphone on Raspberry Pi/Linux?

This issue often arises due to a lack of proper drivers or the microphone not being set as the default audio input device. Linux distributions, including those for Raspberry Pi, might not automatically recognize and configure all USB microphones, especially if they require specific drivers that are not included in the standard system setup.

2. How can I check if my USB microphone is detected by the Raspberry Pi/Linux system?

You can check if your USB microphone is detected by opening a terminal and running the command arecord -l. This command lists all sound capture devices recognized by the system. If your USB microphone is listed, it is detected by the system; if not, you may need to troubleshoot connectivity or driver issues.

3. How can I set my USB microphone as the default audio input device on Raspberry Pi/Linux?

To set your USB microphone as the default audio input device, you need to edit the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) configuration file. You can do this by editing /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc and setting your USB microphone as the default device. You may need to refer to specific ALSA documentation for syntax and options.

4. What should I do if Mathematica still doesn't recognize the microphone after it is set as the default device?

If Mathematica still doesn't recognize your USB microphone even after setting it as the default device, try restarting Mathematica or rebooting your Raspberry Pi/Linux system to ensure all settings are refreshed. Additionally, check if there are any updates or patches for Mathematica that might improve hardware compatibility.

5. Are there any alternative methods to use a USB microphone with Mathematica on Raspberry Pi/Linux if direct recognition fails?

If direct recognition fails, you can consider using an audio server like PulseAudio or JACK, which can help manage audio devices more flexibly. By routing the microphone input through these servers, you might be able to capture the audio in Mathematica indirectly. Ensure these servers are correctly configured to recognize and use the USB microphone.