Mathematica: Solving Linear Complex Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses using Mathematica to find symbolic solutions for a set of complex linear equations. The problem is stated as a matrix equation with real constants and the question is asked if it is possible to solve for complex functions. The conversation ends with the mention of a potential solution and a thank you.
BLUE_CHIP
Good evening,

I am currently trying to use Mathematica to find the symbolic solutions to a set of complex linear equations. I have never used Mathematica for such a task before and am finding it quite difficult. Let me state the problem:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}a^{*}a-b^{*}b&ac^{*}-bd^{*}\\a^{*}c-b^{*}d&c^{*}c-d^{*}d\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}-(\mu+2tcos(p))&2(\Re(\Delta)-i\Im(\Delta))sin(p)\\2(\Re(\Delta)+i\Im(\Delta))sin(p)&\mu+2tcos(p)\end{pmatrix}; \qquad \text{ where } \mu, \Re(\Delta), \Im(\Delta), t \text{ are real constants }; p\inℝ[/tex]

I am attempting to solve for the complex functions [tex]a(p), b(p), c(p), d(p)[/tex] Is this even possible or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By inspection, assuming your j(delta) is not equal to zero, that sin(p) is equal to zero.

That substantially simplifies your task, but, like many things in Mathematica, at the moment it is resisting doing something that is simple to describe.

Last edited:
This problem has been solved.

Thank you.

1. How can I solve a linear complex system using Mathematica?

To solve a linear complex system in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function Solve or LinearSolve. These functions take in the system of equations and the variables to be solved for as arguments and provide the solution in the form of a list of replacement rules.

2. Can Mathematica solve systems with complex coefficients?

Yes, Mathematica can solve systems with complex coefficients. You can use the Complex function to specify complex numbers in your system of equations. For example, Complex[a, b] represents the complex number a + bi.

3. How do I check the consistency of a linear complex system in Mathematica?

To check the consistency of a linear complex system, you can use the LinearSolve function. If the system is consistent, the function will return a solution. If the system is inconsistent, the function will return an empty list.

4. Can I use Mathematica to solve large systems of linear equations?

Yes, Mathematica can handle large systems of linear equations. However, the time it takes to solve the system will depend on the complexity and size of the equations. It is recommended to use the LinearSolve function for larger systems as it is optimized for speed.

5. How can I visualize the solution to a linear complex system in Mathematica?

You can use the ContourPlot function in Mathematica to visualize the solution to a linear complex system. This function creates a contour plot of the equations and the solution will be shown as the intersection points of the contours. You can also use the Plot3D function to create a 3D plot of the solution.