Mathematical discovery of planet neptune

In summary, the discovery of Neptune was a result of mathematical calculations done by French mathematician Urbain Le Verrier and English mathematician John Couch Adams. They used Newton's laws of motion and gravitation to predict the existence and position of an unknown planet, which was later confirmed by German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle in 1846. The discovery was controversial as both Le Verrier and Adams claimed credit, but it is now accepted that both of their contributions were necessary. Other planets, such as Pluto and many exoplanets, have also been discovered using mathematical equations.
ZZ Top
Can anybody help me find informations about the mathematical discovery of planet neptune ?

I would like to know how Leverrier and Adams calculated the position of neptune and all this stuff...

Thanks in advance..

Jack

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think astronmers noticed chages in uranuas orbit eventually using Newtons laws of gravity I think one of them cacluted where Neptune whould be.

I don't have a quick link for the specific math, but some good starting points to begin your search are here...
http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/neptune.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune

and of course Google

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mathematical discovery of planet neptune

1. How did scientists discover planet Neptune?

The discovery of Neptune was a result of mathematical calculations done by French mathematician Urbain Le Verrier and English mathematician John Couch Adams. They noticed irregularities in the orbit of Uranus and used mathematical equations to predict the existence of an unknown planet. German astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle then used these calculations to successfully observe and identify Neptune in 1846.

2. What mathematical equations were used in the discovery of Neptune?

The equations used to predict the existence of Neptune were based on Newton's laws of motion and gravitation. Le Verrier and Adams used these laws to calculate the position and orbit of the hypothetical planet, which was later confirmed by observations.

3. How long did it take to discover planet Neptune?

The discovery of Neptune was a result of years of mathematical calculations and astronomical observations. Le Verrier and Adams independently came up with their predictions in 1845 and 1846, respectively. Galle's observation and confirmation of Neptune's existence in 1846 was the final step in the discovery process.

4. Was the discovery of Neptune controversial?

Yes, the discovery of Neptune was controversial as both Le Verrier and Adams claimed credit for its discovery. However, it is now widely accepted that both of their contributions were necessary for the discovery of Neptune.

5. Have any other planets been discovered using mathematical equations?

Yes, mathematical calculations have played a crucial role in the discovery of many other planets in our solar system. For example, Pluto's existence was predicted using mathematical equations before it was observed in 1930. Additionally, mathematical equations have also been used to discover many exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system) in recent years.