Mathematical Game Theory (Von Neumann Morganstern Utility)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the expectation of a Von Neumann Morgenstern Utility function is linear. This involves understanding concepts such as risk neutrality and using equations such as L=\sum p_i C_i to calculate the expected value for a given lottery. The conversation provides various resources for further understanding and suggests using basic properties of sums and products to manipulate the equation and prove linearity.
ctownballer03
1: If u: omega---> reals is a Von Neumann Morganstern Utiliy function and L is a lottery, prove that expectation E is "linear" ie: E(Au(L)+B)=AEu(L)+B2. Given none:

The Attempt at a Solution

: My attempt at a solution has gone nowhere. I found a stanford and princeton game theory notes that went into it, but I could exactly follow.

I found in a book that if E[v(c)]=v(E[c]) the person is risk netural and they're risk neutral iff VNM Utility function is linear.

I'm really grasping at straws here though.

Here is where I've found my information, but I haven't been able to translate anything into a formal proof.
https://www.princeton.edu/~dixitak/Teaching/EconomicsOfUncertainty/Slides&Notes/Notes03.pdf
http://web.stanford.edu/~jdlevin/Econ 202/Uncertainty.pdf
and finally this book which seems to be the best (see theorem 3.9.1)
http://books.google.com/books?id=nv...orgenstern utility function is linear&f=false

I would love a shove in the right direction. thx
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
## L=\sum p_i C_i ## where ## \sum p_i = 1 ## would be the expected value for the Lottery L with probabilities p_i corresponding to possible payouts C_i.
Then,
##E(Au(L)+B) ## is the expected value ... which is ##\sum p_i (Au(C_i)+B)##, where A and B are constants.
You should be able to change this to the form you were looking for using basic properties of sums and products.

1. What is Mathematical Game Theory?

Mathematical Game Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies strategic decision making in situations where the outcome of a decision depends on the actions of multiple players. It uses mathematical models and techniques to analyze and predict the behavior of players in competitive situations.

2. Who developed the concept of Von Neumann Morganstern Utility?

The concept of Von Neumann Morganstern Utility was developed by mathematician John von Neumann and economist Oskar Morgenstern in their 1944 book "Theory of Games and Economic Behavior".

3. What is the main principle of Von Neumann Morganstern Utility?

The main principle of Von Neumann Morganstern Utility is that individuals make decisions based on their utility function, which represents their preferences and desires. This function assigns a numerical value to each possible outcome, and individuals will choose the option with the highest expected utility.

4. How is Mathematical Game Theory used in real life?

Mathematical Game Theory has numerous real-life applications, such as in economics, political science, and evolutionary biology. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of individuals and groups in strategic situations, and to find optimal solutions for decision making.

5. What is the difference between cooperative and non-cooperative games in Mathematical Game Theory?

In cooperative games, players can communicate and make binding agreements, while in non-cooperative games, players act independently and without communication. Cooperative games are more complex and require the use of different mathematical models, such as cooperative game theory and mechanism design theory.