Mathematical Midgets: Fave Small Numbers & Why

In summary, Serre argued that even though 6 is not a prime number, it is still interesting because it is the only symmetric group with outer automorphisms.
Deveno
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MHB
What are your favorite small numbers? Why?

Anyone can post in this thread, but the rules are:

1. The numbers must be single digit (you can cheat if you use hexadecimal, hint, hint).
2. 1 doesn't count (it's not prime, so go away).
3. If a closed form is not available, you can only use 20 symbols or less to describe it (words will count as one symbol).
4. Extra points if the number is natural.

A famous story is told about some Indian guy riding in a taxi-cab to meet a "real" mathematician (the famous Mr. Hardy. Bow down before your English masters!) who thought the taxi-cab number was interesting, after all. He was wrong, and *that* number is MUCH TOO BIG.

At the moment, my favorite number is 3...it's prime, it's very odd, and I have yet to unravel it's deepest mysteries (why does period 3 imply chaos? I really would like to know...). The fact that $\Bbb Z_3$ can be written as {-1,0,1} saves me lots of time while typing, because when I need some larger digit, I often have to look up what it is in a numerical dictionary (yes...I am *that* lazy).

3 is also my favorite counter-example...in group theory I often use $S_3$ to disprove mistaken "theorems" (such as the infamous Converse Lagrange Theorem), and my personal Anti-Riemann Hypothesis is: the smallest exception to the Riemann Hypothesis is of the form:

$\frac{1}{2} + 3ki$

for some real number $k$).(P.S. Don't take what I say too seriously. I lie. A LOT.).

Physics news on Phys.org

Element of the first twin prime pair, conjecturally the smallest and only untouchable odd number, smallest $n$ such that $S_n$ has no solvable tower of subgroups and as well being the highest degree of my favorite polynomial (quintic). The later property can also be stated as : the highest degree of the general polynomial that is resolvable in terms of elliptic functions and order 1 thetas. (As the degrees increase, more elliptic as well as additional hyperelliptic and higher thetas are needed).

The smallest (or any) exception to RH must have it's imaginary part not $\frac12$, just as a note.

Good thread, by the way!

Last edited:
Deveno said:
What are your favorite small numbers? Why?
This reminds me of a famous lecture that J-P Serre gave at Harvard University in 2007 on the numbers 2 to 8. The only part that I remember hearing about at the time was the section about 6, which was devoted to a discussion of the fact that $S_6$ is the only symmetric group with outer automorphisms.

You can find a report on the lecture here.

Last edited:

1. What are mathematical midgets?

Mathematical midgets are small numbers that have interesting properties and are often used in mathematical equations and theories.

2. What are some examples of mathematical midgets?

Examples of mathematical midgets include the number 1, which is the identity element in multiplication, and the number 2, which is the only even prime number.

3. Why are these numbers considered important in mathematics?

Mathematical midgets are important in mathematics because they often serve as the building blocks for more complex equations and theories. They also have unique properties that make them useful in solving problems and understanding mathematical concepts.

4. What makes a number a mathematical midget?

A number is considered a mathematical midget if it has special properties or characteristics that make it stand out in the world of mathematics. These properties can include being prime, being a perfect square, or being the solution to a well-known mathematical problem.

5. How are mathematical midgets used in real life?

Mathematical midgets are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science to solve problems and make calculations. They are also used in everyday life, such as in measuring distances or calculating probabilities in games of chance.