Mathematical model of a phenomenon

In summary: There may be other specific techniques or considerations depending on the type and complexity of the physical system, but that would require more specific information. In summary, the conversation discusses how one can begin to exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model of a physical system. It is suggested to start by understanding physical principles and feeding data into the model to see how it behaves compared to the real world. However, the specific details and purpose of the model need to be clarified to develop a more specific approach.
EdColider
I want to know how can I begin to exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by giving us a hint. What are you talking about?

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50, CWatters and 1 other person
EdColider said:
I want to know how can I begin to exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model.
First of all, you probably need physical principles.

Likes EdColider
EdColider said:
To exercise a model one way is to feed it data and see if the model behaves the same as the real world.

Likes EdColider
jbriggs444 said:
You could start by giving us a hint. What are you talking about?
which part you did not understand?

EdColider said:
which part you did not understand?
Wadda-ya-mean by the term "exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model." As an engineering professional who has had 35 years of industrial experience developing and applying mathematical models of physical systems, I have never heard this term before.

Likes fresh_42
Chestermiller said:
Wadda-ya-mean by the term "exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model." As an engineering professional who has had 35 years of industrial experience developing and applying mathematical models of physical systems, I have never heard this term before.
I think i did not use the right words. I am from Brasil. Sorry for the bad english. What I want to understand is how someone understand physical systems mathematically.

EdColider said:
I think i did not use the right words. I am from Brasil. Sorry for the bad english. What I want to understand is how someone understand physical systems mathematically.
Thank you very much for clarifying this. Yes, your previous post was a bit aggressive to English-only speakers. It's a classic intellectual retort to say "which word did you not understand". I've used it at times, but never at the PF. :smile:

EdColider said:
I don't think it is about using the right or wrong words, I just think you didn't use enough of them. What physical system? What part of it are you wanting to model? For what purpose? For example, today, I modeled the energy use of a fan -- will that be helpful to you...?

russ_watters said:
I don't think it is about using the right or wrong words, I just think you didn't use enough of them. What physical system? What part of it are you wanting to model? For what purpose? For example, today, I modeled the energy use of a fan -- will that be helpful to you...?
@Chestermiller post in this thread helped me a lot: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...roach-think-of-a-problem.712959/#post-4521833
Do you have a different strategy to develop a mathematical model of a physical system?

1. What is a mathematical model of a phenomenon?

A mathematical model of a phenomenon is a simplified representation of a real-world system or process using mathematical equations and relationships. It is used to describe, analyze, and make predictions about the behavior of the phenomenon.

2. Why are mathematical models important in science?

Mathematical models are important in science because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems and processes. They also help us to identify key factors and relationships that may not be apparent through simple observation.

3. How is a mathematical model created?

A mathematical model is created by first identifying the key variables and relationships involved in the phenomenon being studied. These are then translated into mathematical equations and tested against known data to ensure accuracy. The model is then refined and updated as new data becomes available.

4. What are the limitations of mathematical models?

One limitation of mathematical models is that they are based on simplified assumptions and may not always accurately represent the complexity of a real-world system. They also rely on the quality and quantity of available data, which can be limited or biased.

5. How are mathematical models used in different fields of science?

Mathematical models are used in a variety of fields in science, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. In physics, models are used to predict the behavior of physical systems, while in biology, they are used to understand the growth and evolution of organisms. In economics, models are used to analyze market trends and make predictions, and in engineering, they are used to design and optimize systems and structures.