Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Spacetime - Comments

In summary: Fixed now.In summary, the article discusses the mathematical theory of relativistic field theory, which takes place on spacetime. The article also mentions the metric tensor and how it is not explicitly defined, as well as the induced Minkowski inner product and how it encodes length.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Spacetime
qft_spacetime.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qft_spacetime.png
    qft_spacetime.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,121
Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for writing this excellent article.

Likes Urs Schreiber and Greg Bernhardt
17 more parts to enjoy coming soon! :)

Likes jedishrfu
A minor note: Urs, I imagine you being more of a geometer than an analyst, so I would say: Relativistic field theory takes place on spacetime. ("on" in the exact sense of fiber bundle theory, in which the Minkowski spacetime - or a curved version of it - is the basis manifold of the fiber bundles which accommodate matter fields and gauge fields, thus, technically, one has fields "living" in their own spaces, not in spacetime.
upload_2017-11-8_22-35-8.png

Another note is that the metric tensor on the generic spacetime ##\eta## is nowhere explicitely defined as diag (-++...+) and the benefit of using it compared to the "West Coast" version diag (+--..-).

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_22-35-8.png
    upload_2017-11-8_22-35-8.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 789
Likes Urs Schreiber
Typo in proof of example 2.23: "hatv".

Likes Urs Schreiber
strangerep said:
Typo in proof of example 2.23: "hatv".

Thanks! Fixed now.

dextercioby said:
A minor note: Urs, I imagine you being more of a geometer than an analyst, so I would say: Relativistic field theory takes place on spacetime.

Okay, I changed it. But I wasn't meaning to be speaking with any mathematical perspective at this point, but instead to first say something intuitive. I suppose we all feel that we live "in" spacetime, not "on" it. No?

But anyway, I should not be using parenthetical remarks in an expositional paragraph. So I changed it to "on".

dextercioby said:
Another note is that the metric tensor on the generic spacetime ##\eta## is nowhere explicitely defined as diag (-++...+) and the benefit of using it compared to the "West Coast" version diag (+--..-).

I did say what the norm-square is supposed to be, but you are right that I never made explicit the induced Minkowski inner product. I have expanded now def. 2.15 to make it more explicit. Then I also added a remark 2.16 on how the metric encodes length and what this means for units of length (this will be needed later in chapter 5 to understand why mass terms come with the Compton wavelength.)

Thanks for the feedback!

Likes dextercioby

1. What is the relationship between mathematical quantum field theory and spacetime?

The mathematical framework of quantum field theory provides a way to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions in spacetime. It combines principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to study the dynamics of particles in a continuous spacetime.

2. What are some current comments and debates surrounding the study of mathematical quantum field theory and spacetime?

Some current discussions in the field of mathematical quantum field theory and spacetime revolve around the search for a unified theory that can reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. There are also ongoing debates about the role of spacetime in quantum entanglement and the implications for our understanding of the universe.

3. How is spacetime represented mathematically in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, spacetime is represented by a four-dimensional mathematical structure known as Minkowski space. This space is characterized by its four coordinates - three spatial dimensions and one time dimension - and is used to describe the motion and interactions of particles in the theory.

4. What is the significance of studying spacetime in quantum field theory?

Studying spacetime in the context of quantum field theory allows us to better understand the fundamental nature of the universe and how particles behave at a microscopic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum computing.

5. Are there any real-world applications of mathematical quantum field theory and spacetime?

Yes, mathematical quantum field theory and spacetime have numerous real-world applications, including the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. They also play a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of particles in the early universe and in the study of black holes and other astronomical phenomena.