Matlab question (possibly only a simple math problem)

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the function rand(1,1) in MATLAB gives you a random number from [0,1) to 4 significant figures, but you need to use a specific range for the object_pick value. Depending on how picky your prof is, the likelihood of object A coming up may be slightly higher.
sapiental
Hello,

I'm currently writing a program for my computational physics course and ran into this issue with my program.

The function in MATLAB rand(1,1) gives you a random number from [0,1) to 4 significant figures. So for example if I ran this function it would look something like this.

input:
A = rand(1,1)
output:
A = .5040

Now I have to use this function to make it randomly choose beetween 3 objects (A,B,C). The problem I run into is that the professor told us to specifically use rand(1,1) for the random pick (Probably to test our math and get more familiar with the program.) Since this produces 10 possible values, then I need to assign (A,B,C) 10/3 apart.

Object_A = [.0000:.3333]
Object_B = (.3334:.6666)
Object_C = (.6667:.9999)

I set the object_pick = (rand(1,1))
possible values are (.0000-.9999)

then just write a bunch of if/else statements to determine which range of values the object_pick value falls.

Does this approach make sense to you guys from a mathematical point of view? Since the function rand(1,1) in MATLAB gives you a psuedorandom number as opposed to a truly randomly generated value as in C++, I feel that this method should be acceptable.

Any feedback, comments, or suggestions are much appreciated. Also, Thanks into whoever took the time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on how picky your prof is, the likelihood of object A coming up is *slightly* higher.
0 to .3333 includes 3334 different values (don't forget to count 0). Your other ranges have 3333 values.

You could probably do a quick if statement and ignore instances when the random number generator returns 0. Otherwise, it looks fine to me.

Yea, i can also do this. Fix(10*rand(1,1)) which will pick a number out of (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)

so excluding the 0 will give an equal distribution to 3 objects because it just tells the program to generate another number and doesn't really change anything. But, would the random pick still truly depend on rand(1,1)?

Thanks

1. What is Matlab and how is it used?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering fields. It allows users to perform complex mathematical calculations, create visualizations, and analyze data.

2. What type of math problems can be solved using Matlab?

Matlab can be used to solve a variety of math problems including linear algebra, differential equations, statistics, and optimization. It also has built-in functions for working with matrices, arrays, and complex numbers.

3. How do I input data into Matlab?

Data can be input into Matlab in several ways, including manually typing in values, importing data from a file, or using built-in functions to generate data. Matlab also has a command window where calculations can be entered directly.

4. Can Matlab handle large datasets?

Yes, Matlab has the ability to handle large datasets and perform calculations efficiently. It also has features such as parallel computing and memory management to optimize performance.

5. Is Matlab difficult to learn?

The difficulty of learning Matlab may vary depending on an individual's background and experience with programming and mathematics. However, the language has a user-friendly interface and provides extensive documentation and online resources for learning and troubleshooting.