Matrix Elements via Feynman Diagrams

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand how to use feynman diagrams to estimate the matrix element of a process for fermi's golden rule. They have questions about the placement and strength of the photon vertex and the cancellation effect of multiple methods of decay. They also wonder why cross terms can be ignored.
Sum Guy
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to understand how we can use feynman diagrams to estimate the matrix element of a process to be used in fermi's golden rule so that we can estimate decay rates. I am trying to learn by going through solved examples, but I am struggling to follow the logic of the solutions provided.

For instance consider the question;
2v01vdd.jpg

The feynman diagram for one possible method of decay is shown for the rho 0 meson:
2i91roj.jpg

And the following solution is provided:
iohxxj.jpg

I have a few questions arising from this solution. We are told to consider that the decay can proceed from either the uubar or ddbar part of the wavefunction, but should we not also consider that the photon vertex can sit on u or ubar (and hence introduce a factor of 2 to the matrix element - I know this is not important when considering ratios, but is this still correct?)

Why is the strength of the interaction and the vertex factor given by (-1/3) in the case of d quarks, not (+1/3)? In general I thought that when considering vertex factors we should take the magnitude of the charge of the particle involved, otherwise could we not have a factor of (-1/3) from the photon emitted from the down quark and a factor of (+1/3) from the photon emitted from the anti down quark, which would then cancel?

If we are trying to estimate the rate of decay of a given process, and that process can occur by multiple methods, why do they then have a cancelling out effect? Surely these should all contribute to the rate of decay! e.g. should the first matrix element not be ~ 2/3 + 1/3?

Why can we ignore the cross terms <uubar|q|ddbar>?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sum Guy said:
Why is the strength of the interaction and the vertex factor given by (-1/3) in the case of d quarks, not (+1/3)? In general I thought that when considering vertex factors we should take the magnitude of the charge of the particle involved, otherwise could we not have a factor of (-1/3) from the photon emitted from the down quark and a factor of (+1/3) from the photon emitted from the anti down quark, which would then cancel?
You add complex amplitudes if multiple processes lead to the same final state. For the ##\rho## decay to pion plus photon, both processes (decay as uu and decay as dd) have the same complex phase and add up, for the ##\omega## decay they have opposite sign and subtract. For the decay "to a photon" (to ee), you have the opposite case.

You can only add magnitudes of (squared) amplitudes if the processes lead to different final states.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What are matrix elements?

Matrix elements are mathematical quantities that represent the transition between two quantum states. They are used to describe the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another.

What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of mathematical equations that are used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman to simplify complex equations and make them easier to visualize.

How are matrix elements calculated using Feynman diagrams?

Matrix elements are calculated using Feynman diagrams by first determining the initial and final states of the particles involved in the transition. Then, the corresponding Feynman diagram is drawn, incorporating all relevant interactions between the particles. The matrix element is then calculated using the Feynman rules, which assign mathematical expressions to each component of the diagram.

What is the significance of matrix elements in quantum field theory?

Matrix elements are crucial in quantum field theory as they allow us to calculate the probabilities of different particle interactions. They also provide a way to connect theoretical predictions with experimental results.

Can matrix elements be used to make predictions about physical phenomena?

Yes, matrix elements can be used to make predictions about physical phenomena. By using Feynman diagrams and calculating matrix elements, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, which can then be tested through experiments.