Matrix Representation Question

In summary, the conversation was about finding the matrix representation for the linear operator T with respect to the ordered basis B'. The forum user was struggling with the problem and had attempted to solve it by expressing the linear operator as a matrix and applying it to the basis vectors of B', but this was incorrect. The expert provided a step-by-step explanation of how to correctly find the matrix representation by expressing the linear operator as a linear combination of the basis vectors and arranging them as columns in a matrix.
mau0706

Homework Statement

This is a linear algebra matrix representation problem I have been trying to solve. I seem to keep getting it wrong, so I was hoping I could get some help.

The linear operator T: P2-->P2 is defined by T(P(x)) = xP'(x)-P(x). B={1,x,x2}, and B'={x,1+x,-1+x2} are two ordered bases for P2.
Find the matrix representation for T relative to the ordered basis B'. ([T]B')

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have: xP'(x)-P(x) = ax2-c. Which as a matrix is: [0,-1,1;0,0,0;0,1,1] . I got this by putting ax2-c into [T(x)], [T(1+x)] and [T(-1+x2]. I have no idea if this is right or wrong, but I seem to keep making mistakes on this so any help is really appreciated.

I know how to get [T]B which is [-1,0,0;0,0,0;0,0,1], I just keep messing up on [T]B'.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your linear algebra problem. I understand that you have been struggling to find the correct matrix representation for the linear operator T with respect to the ordered basis B'. I would be happy to assist you in solving this problem.

Firstly, I want to clarify that your attempt at a solution is not entirely correct. The expression xP'(x)-P(x) is not a matrix, but a linear operator. To find the matrix representation of this operator, we need to apply it to the basis vectors of B' and express the resulting vectors in terms of the basis B'.

Let's start by finding the vector representation of T(x) with respect to B'. We know that T(x) = xP'(x)-P(x), so we can write it as a linear combination of the vectors in B':

T(x) = 0x + (-1)(1+x) + 1(-1+x2)

= -1 - x + x2

= (-1, -1, 1) with respect to the basis B.

Next, we can find the vector representation of T(1+x) with respect to B':

T(1+x) = (1+x)P'(1+x)-P(1+x)

= (1+x)(1) + (-1)(1+1+x) + 1(-1+1+x2)

= (2x-1, -1-x, 1+x2) with respect to the basis B.

Similarly, we can find the vector representation of T(-1+x2) with respect to B':

T(-1+x2) = (-1+x2)P'(-1+x2)-P(-1+x2)

= (-1+x2)(-1) + (-1)(1-1+x2) + 1(-1+x2)

= (-x2-1, -2, 2x) with respect to the basis B.

Now, we can arrange these vectors as columns to form the matrix representation of T with respect to B':

[T]B' = [(-1, 2x-1, -x2-1), (-1, -1-x, -2), (1, 1+x2, 2x)]

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification.[Your Name

Related to Matrix Representation Question

1. What is a matrix representation?

A matrix representation is a way to represent data in a tabular form, using rows and columns. It is commonly used in linear algebra and other mathematical fields to organize and manipulate data.

2. How is a matrix representation different from other data representations?

A matrix representation differs from other data representations, such as lists or arrays, because it is specifically organized into rows and columns. This structure allows for efficient manipulation of data using mathematical operations.

3. What are the benefits of using a matrix representation?

There are several benefits of using a matrix representation, including its ability to efficiently store and manipulate large amounts of data, its compatibility with mathematical operations, and its ability to represent complex relationships between multiple variables.

4. How do you create a matrix representation?

To create a matrix representation, you first need to determine the dimensions of your matrix, or the number of rows and columns. Then, you can input your data into the appropriate cells, either manually or using a computer program or calculator.

5. Can a matrix representation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, matrix representations have many real-world applications, including in computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning. They are also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve complex problems.