Matter-antimatter colision and pure energy

• Thread starter theallknower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Pure
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matter and antimatter colliding and turning into pure energy. The questions raised include what pure energy is and how it can be obtained, the potential outcome of a collision between two stars made of matter and antimatter, the difficulty of annihilating a dust particle-sized amount of antimatter, and the role of empty space in such collisions. The conversation also touches on the annihilation process between particles and how it relates to the concept of energy.
theallknower
sounds like the title of a SF book...and that is what this post will probabley be...
"if matter and antimatter colide,they anihilate each other and turn into pure energy"
here comes the questions:
1)what is pure energy?you can't go at the market to buy a jar of energy,you can't hold energy in your hands...if you kick a ball it will move...that's energy...so as long as you have no more matter or antimatter for the energy to manifest on something,I can't see how you can have energy at all...
witch brings me to question 2:
2)let's say I have a star of 1 solar mass made of matter and 1 star of 1 solar mass made from antimatter...if they were to colide,they shoudn't completley turn to energy...the energy obtained by just touching eatch other should be big enough to separate the rest of them at a safe distance(if what I asumed on question 1 is correct)
I know 1 gram of antimatter would cost 30 or 60 trilion U.S. dollars to produce,so I've chosen the size of stars on purpose,so I make the point very clearley,but now I will aply this pfenomena on much smaller case,in question 3:
3)if you had antimatter the size of a...let's say a dust particle,you should have quite a hard time,tring to anihilate it with ordinary matter because of this "push" efect I described,so obtaining "pure" energy seems inposible...unless you check
question 4:
4)if you colided an elementary particle with an elementary antiparticle in perfect emtiness(if we can talk about pure energy,we can talk about perfect emtiness) nothing should happen...
also,I've allwais wondered:
5)does,for example,antihidrogen anihilate with...something else,like iron,or oxigen?or just hidrogen?
6)what happens if I feed a light bulb with pozitrons instead of electrons? and what hapens if I feed my computer(or any other very advanced electronic system) with pozitrons instead of electrons?
7)when I used to speak about things in general,I referred to it as matter...but how do you call matter and antimatter and radiations and so on without including the space-time fabric,all togeter? (then it would be easy...you could simpley call it universe)
note: 1)2)3)and4) aren't exactley questions...they are more like...is it true or not,and why?
thank you in advance,and please pardon my eventual mistakes,english is not my mother tounge.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
theallknower said:
sounds like the title of a SF book...and that is what this post will probabley be...
"if matter and antimatter colide,they anihilate each other and turn into pure energy"
here comes the questions:
1)what is pure energy?you can't go at the market to buy a jar of energy,you can't hold energy in your hands...if you kick a ball it will move...that's energy...so as long as you have no more matter or antimatter for the energy to manifest on something,I can't see how you can have energy at all...
It isn't any purer energy than any other - 'pure energy' just means you only get energy no other residue.

2)let's say I have a star of 1 solar mass made of matter and 1 star of 1 solar mass made from antimatter...if they were to colide,they shoudn't completley turn to energy...the energy obtained by just touching eatch other should be big enough to separate the rest of them at a safe distance(if what I asumed on question 1 is correct)
Practial difficulties aside the two stars would annihilate if you put them together.

3)if you had antimatter the size of a...let's say a dust particle,you should have quite a hard time,tring to annihilate it with ordinary matter because of this "push" efect I described,so obtaining "pure" energy seems inposible...unless you check
question 4:
It would be quite easy to completely use it, any bits that were blown away by the initial bang would inevitably hit another bit of matter and go bang.

4)if you colided an elementary particle with an elementary antiparticle in perfect emtiness(if we can talk about pure energy,we can talk about perfect emtiness) nothing should happen...
also,I've allwais wondered:
Why would the empty surroundings matter?

5)does,for example,antihidrogen anihilate with...something else,like iron,or oxigen?or just hidrogen?
It's not a chemical reaction so the protons in hydrogen would annihilate with the anti protons in anti-hydrogen, the electrons with positrons etc

theallknower said:

There's no such thing as "pure energy." Energy is a property of a particle or other object. When an electron and a positron (for example) annihilate each other, you get two photons which have a total energy corresponding to the masses plus kinetic energies of the original particles.

jtbell said:
There's no such thing as "pure energy." Energy is a property of a particle or other object.

that is what I suspected,thanks for the confirmation...thanks to all those who posted:)

1. What is a matter-antimatter collision?

A matter-antimatter collision occurs when a particle of matter and a particle of antimatter meet and annihilate each other, releasing pure energy in the form of photons.

2. What is antimatter and how is it different from matter?

Antimatter is the opposite of matter, with the same mass but opposite charge. For example, an antiproton has the same mass as a proton but a negative charge. When matter and antimatter come into contact, they annihilate each other and release pure energy.

3. Can matter and antimatter coexist in the same space?

No, matter and antimatter cannot exist in the same space. When they come into contact, they will annihilate each other. However, scientists have been able to create small amounts of antimatter and contain it using special magnetic fields.

4. How is pure energy released during a matter-antimatter collision?

During a matter-antimatter collision, the particles of matter and antimatter are converted into pure energy in the form of photons. This is due to the conversion of mass into energy, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

5. What are the potential applications of matter-antimatter collisions and pure energy?

Matter-antimatter collisions and the release of pure energy have potential applications in propulsion systems for space travel, as well as in medical imaging and cancer treatment. However, the technology is still in its early stages and more research is needed to fully harness its potential.