Matter falling into a black hole

In summary: If you have two particles then they would both have an extra amount of energy as a result of the overlap.
MikeeMiracle
TL;DR Summary
Matter falling into a black hole
As I understand it, as you get closer to a black hole no matter what trajectory you were on approaching it, you will get pulled into the disk of spinning matter around the black hole which I assume is around it's equator?

I am just curious as to what is happening to the "space" in the disk, and above/below the disk why anything with any mass is always pulled into the disk itself. I guess, why does the "disk" exist and not a "sphere" of matter falling in from all directions.

I am a keen enthusiast but have not studied the topic so please no responces with equations or anything like that, just a no doubt over-simplification.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MikeeMiracle said:
As I understand it, as you get closer to a black hole no matter what trajectory you were on approaching it, you will get pulled into the disk of spinning matter around the black hole which I assume is around it's [sic] equator?
Keep in mind, a BH does not necessarily even HAVE an accretion disk, although in practice most still do (and those discs will be eaten eventually).

MikeeMiracle said:
Summary:: Matter falling into a black hole

As I understand it, as you get closer to a black hole no matter what trajectory you were on approaching it, you will get pulled into the disk of spinning matter around the black hole

This is not true at all. A black hole, outside the event horizon, is just a regular gravitational field.

To be clear: if you were on a trajectory that would not have impacted the star before it became a black hole, then you should avoid the black hole as well. If your trajectory would have impacted the star, then you might still avoid the black hole. It depends on the "impact parameter" for the trajectory.

The critical radius is 3/2 times the Schwarzschild radius. That's as close as you can get without definitely getting trapped.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "close enough" and "any trajectory".

One difference between GR and Newtonian gravity is:

Theoretically, in Newtonian gravity, you would always escape a point mass, unless you were headed directly for it. But, in GR below a certain impact parameter (which approximately translates to initial angular momentum) you do not escape.

Last edited:
So the disk is all about the angular momentum of the combined system once something starts to fall in? I suspected angular momentum would play a part.

@PeroK Yes your right of course when you think about it, it should be just a regular gravitaional field outside the event horizon...

...You see this is the problem with believing you have a good understanding of something and then watch pop sci-fi videos as your bored, they just confuse and contradict your common sense and give you limited info to back up their claims.

Thanks for putting me back on the right path :)

Likes berkeman and phinds
MikeeMiracle said:
@PeroK Yes your right of course when you think about it, it should be just a regular gravitaional field outside the event horizon...

...You see this is the problem with believing you have a good understanding of something and then watch pop sci-fi videos as your bored, they just confuse and contradict your common sense and give you limited info to back up their claims.

Thanks for putting me back on the right path :)

I've updated my response.

PeroK said:

The critical radius is 3/2 times the Schwarzschild radius. That's as close as you can get without definitely getting trapped.

If this statement is true then I misunderstood the Penrose process. When 2 particles fall into the ergosphere one of them can not only escape but under specific circumstances one of them can leave with extra energy. Some part of the mass falling in always gets trapped.

stefan r said:
If this statement is true then I misunderstood the Penrose process. When 2 particles fall into the ergosphere one of them can not only escape but under specific circumstances one of them can leave with extra energy. Some part of the mass falling in always gets trapped.

I was thinking about single particle free-fall only.

Likes stefan r

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star collapses in on itself.

What happens to matter when it falls into a black hole?

When matter falls into a black hole, it is pulled towards the center of the black hole by its strong gravitational force. As it gets closer to the center, the matter is stretched and compressed, eventually reaching a point of infinite density known as the singularity.

Can we see matter falling into a black hole?

No, we cannot see matter falling into a black hole because the strong gravitational pull of the black hole prevents light from escaping. However, we can observe the effects of matter falling into a black hole, such as the emission of X-rays and other forms of radiation.

Does all matter that enters a black hole stay there forever?

According to our current understanding of physics, once matter enters a black hole, it cannot escape. It will continue to be pulled towards the singularity and become a part of the black hole's mass.

What happens to time inside a black hole?

Inside a black hole, the strong gravitational pull causes time to slow down significantly. This is known as time dilation and is a result of the intense curvature of space-time near the singularity. As a result, time inside a black hole may appear to stand still from an outside observer's perspective.