Matter ingestion rate of blackholes

In summary, Richard is asking questions about black holes and their consumption of matter. He wonders if this means the pressure of our universe is higher than that of the destination universe/multiverse and if the rate of matter consumption depends on size. He also asks if there is a way to calculate the amount of matter consumed by a black hole and if this can be used to estimate the total amount of matter lost from our universe. Lastly, he questions if there is a calculation to estimate the size of the destination universe/multiverse based on the matter consumed from ours.
rjpearce
Sorry if my questions are rather naive, this is my first post on this forum.
Whilst burshing my teeth, I was watching water drain from the sink and came up with a few rather curious questions.

Does the ingest of matter suggest by black holes suggest that the pressure of our universe is higher than that of the destination universe/multiverse?

Does the rate of matter consumption for black holes depend entirely on the size/mass?

Is there any calculation that exists to calculate the amount of matter consumed by a black hole of a specific size?

Could this be used to estimate the total amount of matter lost from our universe owing to black holes?

If so, is there any calculation that can be done to estimate the size of the destination universe/multiverse based on the ingest of matter from our universe?

Thanks
-Richard

Space news on Phys.org
Matter that falls into a black hole does not 'leave' our universe. A black hole continues to affect other objects in the universe with the collective gravity of all the matter it has 'consumed'. It is reasonable to assume this means the matter captured by a black hole at least retains its gravitational identity.

rj Welcome to the forum. I look upon matter inside a BH as being at the lowest possible level of gravitational potential energy. Energy must have been released on the way in. That's about as much as I hopefully know, let's see what the others say.

matter consumption = whatever matter goes into the black hole

and as chronos said the matter is still in our universe

the only type of matter "consumption" is black hole entropy(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_thermodynamics), which can be seen as absorbing virtual particles of negative mass, and that's only proportional to the horizon area of the black hole itself

I can provide some insights into the matter ingestion rate of black holes. First of all, it is important to understand that matter ingestion by black holes is a complex phenomenon that is still not fully understood by scientists. However, based on our current understanding, here are some answers to your questions:

1. The ingestion of matter by black holes does not necessarily suggest that the pressure of our universe is higher than that of the destination universe/multiverse. In fact, the pressure of our universe is constantly changing and is affected by various factors such as the expansion of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy, and the influence of dark energy.

2. The rate of matter consumption by black holes does depend on their size and mass. Generally, larger and more massive black holes have a higher matter ingestion rate compared to smaller ones.

3. Yes, there are calculations that exist to estimate the amount of matter consumed by a black hole of a specific size. This is based on the concept of the Schwarzschild radius, which is the distance from the center of a black hole at which the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light. This can be used to calculate the mass of the black hole and therefore, the amount of matter it can consume.

4. It is possible to estimate the total amount of matter lost from our universe due to black holes, but it is a challenging task. This is because the matter consumed by black holes is not necessarily lost forever. Some of it may be converted into energy and released back into the universe through processes like Hawking radiation.

5. Currently, there is no calculation that can accurately estimate the size of the destination universe/multiverse based on the matter ingestion rate of black holes. This is because the destination universe/multiverse may have different properties and dynamics compared to our own universe.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Keep exploring and questioning the world around you!

1. What is matter ingestion rate of blackholes?

The matter ingestion rate of blackholes refers to the amount of matter that is being pulled into a blackhole at a given time. This is determined by the size and mass of the blackhole, as well as the amount of matter in its surrounding environment.

2. How is matter ingestion rate of blackholes measured?

The matter ingestion rate of blackholes is measured by observing the amount of radiation and energy emitted by the blackhole as it consumes matter. This can be done through various telescopes and instruments, such as X-ray and radio telescopes.

3. Does the matter ingestion rate of blackholes vary?

Yes, the matter ingestion rate of blackholes can vary depending on the size and mass of the blackhole, as well as the amount of matter in its surrounding environment. It can also vary over time as the blackhole consumes more or less matter.

4. Can the matter ingestion rate of blackholes change over time?

Yes, the matter ingestion rate of blackholes can change over time as the amount of matter in its surrounding environment changes. It can also change as the blackhole grows in size and mass through the consumption of matter.

5. What happens when a blackhole reaches its maximum matter ingestion rate?

When a blackhole reaches its maximum matter ingestion rate, it is believed to emit powerful jets of energy and radiation from its poles. This is known as an active galactic nucleus and is thought to be caused by the intense gravitational forces at work as the blackhole consumes matter.